Chapter 2

Ever since Jade all but said she'd be grossed out if a girl kissed her I've been suffering in silence. Bidding my time until I can think of a plan to get her attention in a more positive light.

"Push it! Come on let's go! I want to see everyone sweating as much as Skylar!" Coach called.

There was a collective groan.

Everyone knows I have sweat issues; I can't help my genes. As I've mentioned before I'm a fast runner which means I'm on the track team. We are practicing for the big meet coming up against our rival school. We are pretty much the best in the district, feared by all, that being said we lose to our rival school every other year. Last year we beat them, so this year we have to train twice as hard.

I pushed myself hard and finally caught up with Darleen. Between you and me, I think she slows down for me on purpose. Just so I can catch up to her. Darleen is nice like that.

"Hey," she smiles.

"H-he-hey," I say as I try to catch my breath.

She giggles.

"No talking!" Coach shouts.

I sigh, coach always has a stick up her butt when we train for this match.

"Race ya?" Darleen glances at me with those ocean blue eyes.

I nod in response.

Then we both take off, outrunning everyone else. When we made it to the finish line I collapsed on the floor trying to catch my breath. Darleen beat me, she always beats me. Even worse she makes it look so effortless. I may be fast, but I'll never be faster than her.

"Look at you, roadrunner," Jade teases from the stands.

I open my eyes and look up at her.

She must have gotten out of dance practice early. She's always my ride, being that we live right across from each other and all. She catches me staring and smiles at me. I swear my heart jumped up and high fived my spinal cord.

The jolt of energy forces me to get up off the floor.

"Almost had me today," Darleen teased.

I rolled my eyes. She knows she is way faster than me. I bet even if her leg was broken, she could still find a way to beat me. I swear she takes joy in tricking me into running faster. Darleen laughs when she sees me make my signature pouty face. The face I always make when I'm annoyed.

"You look so yummy all hot and bothered," Jade jumped over the railing and walked over to me.

"You'd look better," I did it! I flirted! Okay, everyone remain calm. Don't panic. Just play it cool.

"Hell yeah I would," she playfully flips her hair.

I giggle.

"Huddle up!" Coach calls.

"Come on," Darleen jogs off towards the group.

"Just a sec," I say to Jade before jogging after her.

"Progress needs to be made before the meet if we even want to come close to beating them. Darleen, keep up the good work. Alison, what did I tell you about your stamina? You need to train harder."

"Sorry coach," she mutters.

"Mariah, you need to shorten your stride, you are wasting your energy on the initial leap. Skylar!"

"Y-yes," I stutter.

"Nice work today, but you need to stay focused. Talking during a real meet will get you disqualified. Don't let it happen again."