Chapter Three

"New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings." – Lao Tzu

~Miranda~

It had been a little over a month since I had walked into the stark, empty apartment I had shared with my... boyfriend?

No, that wasn't right, that was the simple lie we told people, not what we were. Dominant, that's what he was, he was my Master and I his servant. I had been given over to him when my first Dominant, Ian, had graduated back in Alabama.

Dominick had also been one of the Alphas, had been Ian's VP actually. So, it seemed natural when Ian told me that Dominick would be taking care of me from that point on. I just had to continue doing what I had been instructed. Go to classes, do my homework, and keep the Alpha house clean and all the Alphas well fed and happy. I had been able to cut the costs of a dorm room after Ian had instructed me that I would be living at the Alpha house to better attend to him and the boys. Though I had to tell anyone who asked directly that I lived in an apartment in town because I technically wasn't allowed to live there. And since he took care of all my financial things, save for my tuition and books, it was expected that I would work it off.

"Time for money is a standard agreement between a Master and his slave" is what Ian told me. He was a little put out that he had to train me as I had never even had a boyfriend before, but in the end, he said I made a good submissive. It was a little like being Snow White except there were more than seven Alphas.

The day after graduation I was left to Dominick, who had succeeded Ian as the President of the Alphas.

I held the crumpled piece of paper in my hand, hovering it over the trash can at the cash register I was working at. I don't know why I'd kept it in the first place, let alone carried it around in my pocket. I guess I felt like if I threw it away, I would be throwing him away, throwing us away...

Dominick had made it perfectly clear to me in the letter he had left on the kitchen counter that our "arrangement" was terminated, and he apologized for not finding someone to pass me along to. He was kind enough to let me know that he had taken care of the last month's rent and then the rental on the apartment would be up.

He had taken everything, except my clothes, some toiletries, my pillow and a ratty old quilt from my grandmother that Dom refused to allow on the bed, and a box containing all the sex paraphernalia we had collected in the last 3 years. I had slept on the floor until I found an old futon at a yard sale a week later, along with a beat up but usable fry pan. My two plates, mismatched drinking glasses, a single pot, and one set of silverware all came from the local Goodwill. I had found an old bar stool next to the dumpster and after a couple of new screws, it only wobbled a little.

I was hurt and confused, yes in the beginning there had been an agreement of submission, Ian saw to it when he passed me along to his frat brother and moved along with his life. Dominick was in his last year in college while I was only in year two; I had thought that I would be passed on like before at the end of the year but Dominick had been very possessive of me and had not wanted me to be with anyone else. So, when graduation time came and he got accepted to a medical program at Baylor in Texas, he told me that I would be going with him. And so, I did. Against my mother's wishes I packed up everything I had, not much admittedly, and moved to Texas. I left my mother alone to deal with Grandma's worsening dementia, and moved to Houston with him, for him. I transferred schools and degree programs. I had originally studied to be a chemistry major but had switched over and fallen in love with the laboratory sciences once I got to Baylor.

Had I not done a good job of subservience? I did everything he asked, I cleaned, cooked, ran errands, did all the shopping, and even got a part time job at Joel's department store when my mother moved in a year ago after her cancer diagnosis so that her expenses in the house wouldn't come from him. I had cut my class load down to accommodate working part time and not take time away from him. But I made myself available to him sexually in any way he demanded, and he demanded quite a bit, and in some unusual ways. The deeper he got into the medical residency program the more stressed he seemed to get, and I would help relieve him of some of that stress. Occasionally the stress would turn to frustration and the frustration turned to anger, not at me, he assured me.