Chapter Seventeen

"Just being there for someone can sometimes bring hope when all seems hopeless."

-Dave G. Llewelyn

~Miranda~

I wake up the next morning with a start. I am in my bed, under the covers. My body aches as I attempt to sit up and look around. My right arm is in a strange sling wrapped around my waist. There is a glass of water on the nightstand with a couple of bottles of medications and a handwritten note.

'The doctor said take two of each.'

I eye it warily; bits filter in from last night. Justin. Nathaniel. The hospital. Being in the bathtub.

I freeze.

Did it happen again? Did another man decide that I was his because I couldn't resist?

I blink a few times trying to remember clearly.

'You are here in your bed, warm and comfortable, and dressed.' The little voice in my head tells me pragmatically.

Yes, that is different from last time, last time I was left cold and naked and in pain. I decide to take the medications and get up to go to the bathroom. I gasp at the sight of myself. I have a smear of something purple across my forehead above my left eye, and my face! The whole area around my right eye and cheek is a weird purple and magenta splotch. I awkwardly try running my brush through my hair which is surprisingly less tangled than it usually is. Thank goodness because I am having to use my left hand to do everything.

I struggle to put a pair of sleeping shorts on and then head to the kitchen. I reach out to open the door and find it is locked.

Locked? Why would I lock my door? I unlock it and continue to the living room where I notice straight off that there is a lump on my couch, a very large lump. I make a startled noise and jump back.

The sound wakes the lump. A sleepy Nathaniel sits up and rubs his eyes.

"Good morning." He stretches and rubs his face some more.

"Morning" I am glued to my spot, why is he here? "Why are you here?" I frown in confusion.

"I didn't think you should be left alone; I can leave if it would make you more comfortable."

I shake my head to clear it "No, you don't have to leave" a thought occurs to me. "Did you lock my door?" I gesture back towards my now open bedroom door.

"Yes, I thought it would make you feel safe if you were locked in, though truth be told if you needed help, I could break through that flimsy door in a second".

"You slept here?" I motion to the couch, my lumpy secondhand couch, and grimace. "Wait!" I start as my brain catches up to what I am seeing, the hamster in there needs to get with the program and start running on his wheel because nothing is making sense at the moment. "Where did all that come from?" I point to the pillows, sheets, and blankets now adorning it. None of which are mine.

Nathaniel looks sheepish. "Yeah, well, I couldn't find where you store your stuff, so I got my driver to bring me a few things"

He got his driver to... I shake my head.

"You couldn't find it because I don't have any" I am slightly embarrassed. He seems to notice my discomfort because he stands and walks the two feet to my minuscule kitchen.

"Would you like breakfast?" He asks me.

I cringe again, all I have to offer anyone is some stale Cheerios and possibly spoiled milk.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?"

"You are injured, I am taking care of you. Now what do you want to eat?" he says with a self-assured tone that I am sure brooks no arguing from those he uses it with.