Chapter Twenty-Three

~Nate~

I had just cleared airport security when the call came in. I was trying to do the grab your stuff while putting your shoes on tango while my phone was ringing at high volume. Yes I was that asshole, I needed to answer my phone at any given time so I wanted to hear it. Only now it was annoying me as well because I couldn't get to it. I glanced at the screen, it was the main office switch board, which could mean that it was anyone. I finally gathered all my bags and headed to a bench to re-thread my belt and put my shoes on properly when it started ringing again. I look, it's the switch board again, then my text alert goes off, and another, and another.

What the hell?

I drop my belt and pick up the phone.

"Nate Harding" I growl out in irritation.

"Mr. Harding" it was Hazel, our lead paralegal for the main Dallas branch.

"You put a red alert on Ms. Bell's account to inform you of any changes in status."

I get a feeling of dread prickle at the back of my neck. "Yes..."

"We were informed 10 minutes ago that Justin Flanagan was released after making bail"

The prickle turns to outright fear and a cold sweat appears on my forehead.

"He was released 10 minutes ago?" If he wanted to come after her he wouldn't have time yet.

Hazel hesitates "well no, we were only informed 10 minutes ago, but he was released over 2 hours ago"

The blood drains from my face.

"Have you called her? She has one of the firm phones, the number should be in her file"

"Yes sir, I have someone who's sole purpose in life right now is to call that number until someone answers, no luck so far" I swallow hard despite my mouth being dry as a bone.

"Hazel, listen to me carefully, call the local PD and have them do an immediate welfare check on her, then call Ryan and let him know what is going on"

"He is being informed as we speak"

My phone makes the beep signaling that I have another call coming in, I glance at the screen to see Ryan's face on it. God i loves this girls efficiency.

"Perfect, call me back once you hear from the police"

"Yes sir"

I hang up, ignore Ryan's call, resist the urge to try to call Miranda myself, and grab up my stuff, making my way back around to the exit and hoping there is a taxi waiting outside. This is Houston, not New York, there aren't taxis lined up at the curb in a constant flow. I debate calling my car back but I was dropped off nearly an hour ago and I don't know how far away it is now.

I have a little luck stored I guess because there are two Ubers just dropping off passages. I run up to the first one.

"I need to get back up to Woodhills"

"Fuck that man, the fare isn't worth the return trip"

I narrow my eyes at him and turn to look at cab number two.

"Woodhills?"

He shrugs "Sure man, I can swing by and see my grandpa for lunch"

Whatever, I don't really care. My mind is on getting to Miranda.

I toss my bags in the back seat and climb in. The driver is getting settled in the front. I lean forward and tap on his shoulder.

"I will make it worth your while to break some land speed records" I hold up two hundred dollar bills for him to see.