[ monochrome ]

-THE EVE OF CHRISTMAS EVE, or in simple terms, December twenty-third

-THE EVE OF CHRISTMAS EVE, or in simple terms, December twenty-third. The bell on top of the door rings as a new customer steps in, you were helping around with the bakery your parents' owned, it was quite famous, especially during Christmas.

"Thanks for ordering!" You grin at the customer, giving her the cake she had pre-ordered. The bell rings once again, a tall dark haired boy you knew all too well stepping in. "Ray?" You call out as he dusts his snow stained clothes. The boy was wearing a white shirt, a white fleeced jacket, and a gray scarf wrapped around his neck. His cheeks were a delicate red, and his nose was a rosy pink as he rubbed his hands to achieve some sort of warmth.

"Hey." He replies nonchalantly, giving you a wave. "I thought you were off to visit your grandparents?" You questioned. "One thing led to another, and now I can't catch a train until after Christmas." Ray responds in his usual manner, coming up to the counter. "Can I have a slice of cake?"

You chuckled in response, giving him a pitiful look. "Spending Christmas alone, then?" You inquire, hoping to invite him. He doesn't reply for a bit, before whipping out some cash. "Can I have my slice now? I don't care which one." The boy declares ignoring your previous question. You shake your head in negation, letting out a sigh. "Sure, just wait here for a few minutes." You respond, telling him to take a seat somewhere else.

You take out a hot chocolate and give it to him, telling him something in between the lines of 'it's on the house' when in reality, he simply paid too much for your plebian brain to handle. "Hey mom, do we still have a slice of blueberry cheesecake? My friend wants a slice." You request, knowing blueberry cheesecake was Ray's favorite.

"Oh? Is Ray-kun here to visit?" Your mom speculates, the same predicament having happened more than once before. "Yup, it's all the usual with him." You frown, pouting slightly. "You should try inviting him again this year, it might be different this time around." Your dad suggests, hoping to help out the lonely boy. "I doubt it, but I'll definitely give it a try!" You announce gleefully, getting into the Christmas cheer. Your mother chuckles, handing you a slice of blueberry cheesecake in a box, your family had always prepared for Ray's random Christmas visits, already knowing the drill.

You rush back out excitedly, ready to invite him over, only to be ultimately disappointed. The chair he had been sitting at was now deserted, his empty mug and a sticky note that read 'merry christmas' on top of the table. Ugh, that loner. You thought to yourself, getting frustrated. You swiftly snatch your dad's thick jacket and slip it on as you push the door open with your right shoulder.

You see footsteps on the perfectly white snow, and follow it like a predator following his prey. Finally, the foosteps stop next to an alleyway. You see the tall ravenette on a sidewalk watching as the young kids ran around in the snow. You sigh at him, a mixture of pity and irritation evident in your tone.