Chapter 10: being saved

Jeanette again:

Wow... Today has been crazy. This morning I went running, when something in the water caught my eye. It looked like a person. I panicked and realised that the lifeguards were on the other side of the beach, so I just went myself.

I'm kind of good at swimming, but the ocean is no man's property. I started swimming breaststroke because that's my best style, and soon enough I reached the swimmer in distress.

"Hey! Don't panick! I'll get you out of here, okay?" I yelled so the person could hear me, but she either ignored me, or she was deaf. I assumed deaf, since she didn't call for help.

"Miss?" I called and turned her by the shoulder, but only to realise that the shoulder was rock hard and the face stayed one emotion, which was defiance.

"A mannequin?!" I thought and yanked it underwater. "You've got to be kidding me. Who the heck leaves a mannequin in the ocean?!" I asked myself aloud, and groaned in frustration.

I started swimming back, but I realised that I wasn't moving. I looked back, and saw the one thing that I really didn't want near me right now (besides a great white shark or ANY shark for that matter) I saw a whirlpool.

"Oh crap." I mumbled and started swimming faster. I wasn't making any progress, in fact, I was going backwards. "Hey!" I heard a boy's voice and thought it was the lifeguard.

That one second of stopping was all it took for the whirlpool to bring me down. My neck went under and I got a last breath. When I was below, I felt my foot being pulled, dragging along the rest of me.

I was running out of oxygen and water started to fill my lungs. I looked up, the salt stinging my eyes like needles with black specks taking over my sight. I reached my hand out and that was when I couldn't see anymore.

--half hour time lapse--

Before I could figure out what was happening, I felt a pair of wet lips brush against mine, blowing in air. The first thing I saw was two sapphire blue eyes, staring back at me with nothing but determination in them.

Immediately realising who it was, I did the first thing that came to mind. I slapped him. I sat up, choking up all the salt water that got stuck in my lungs.

How dare he? How dare he try to win me back by kissing me while I'm unconcious?! AND I'm in my bikini!

I think that the salt overdose has been messing with a bit my brain. (See what I did there?😉)

"What the hell Zack?" I said and tried to stand, sand clinging to me as my body yelled in pain. I tried my best not to blush at his naked chest.

"What?" He asked, obviously confused and shocked after I slapped him. "Why did you save me?" I glared.

"Do you really think I'm that heartless? That I'd let you sink to the bottom of the ocean? Look. Don't take this personally, okay? It was pure instinct. I couldn't just let you drown." He replied and handed me his shirt. I gladly accepted it by yanking it out of his hands. I forcefully put it on and continued to glare.

"I don't need your help. You can't keep saving me, okay? Just leave me alone." I hissed and tried to stand again, succeeding somehow, but when I turned around my legs derped again.

I fell backwards but I landed in someone's arms. Darn smooth criminal!

When he spoke softly against my ear, it sent shivers down my spine. "Listen, sweet cheeks. You may not like me right now, but right now is the time in which you need my help. I'm the only one here who knows where you're staying." I heard his somehow soothing voice right against my ear.

Was I gonna calm down?? Nada. Because before I knew it, he picked me up.

"You know where I live?! Stalker!" I gasped dramatically but didn't fight his grip.

"Come on. Let's get you home." He said and carried me bridal style to his scooter.

"Right. Just hold on tight and you'll be fine." He said and helped me up.

I wrapped my arms around his waist, but then my vision disappeared and I was back in the darkness.