Chapter 18: I'm sorry

Jeanette:

New years. Everyone of my family, Ashleigh and Amy came together at the park to celebrate.

It was quarter to midnight, and I felt like walking around for a bit. I wanted to be alone and do some soul searching.

I heard a familiar voice call my name from behind. "Jeanette? Jeanette!" But it was the one voice I really didn't wan't to talk to right then, so I ignored it and kept walking.

"Jeanette?" It was getting closer, so I started walking faster.

I didn't know that he would catch up to me so fast, and within seconds he was in front of me.

"Leave me alone Zack." I said and turned around.

"Jeanette... Just... Just stop okay? Please. I'm begging you to hear me out." He pleaded while gently holding my wrists.

"Fine. But make it quick because it's nearly midnight." I said sternly, pulling my hands away, and he nodded in reply.

"Look... What you saw back there was a huge misunderstanding. Sarah..." I stopped him.

"No. You can stay with her if you like. I'm not stopping you." I said, holding back the tears.

"I broke up with Sarah. She's no longer my girlfriend."

"What? Are you serious?"

He nodded.

"But... why did you kiss her?"

"I didn't. She kissed me. Well... Force-kissed. I didn't want it."

"Well... It didn't really look like you were fighting her."

"I couldn't help it! I was so confused and I didn't know what to do!"

"I don't want to hear another excuse, Zack. Now please, just leave me alone."

"I'm sorry. I really am. Here, let me make it up to you." He said, taking my hands. I ripped them out of his grasp, and I was fighting back the lump in my throat.

I wanted to love him. I really did, but I was scared. I didn't know whether I could trust him.

Just then the countdown started. 10! 9! 8!

"Zack... How do I know that you won't break my heart again? That you won't betray me like the last time? I'm... I'm scared." I started crying, and he wiped the tears away with his thumbs, holding my face in his hands in the process.

5! 4!

"I won't do it again." He said gently.

3! "Prove it." I said softly, shutting my tear stinging eyes.

2! 1! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

At the exact same moment I heard happy new year, I felt a pair of warm and tender lips gently brush against mine, just like at the beach. His lips pressed on mine sent wild sparks shooting in every direction within my inner being. I wanted to have this kiss for so long. So damn long.

I ran my fingers through his hair, just like I always wanted to do. He placed his hands on my hips, pulling me closer and intensifying the kiss.

It was as if the world around us had disappeared, and it was just me, and him.

He pulled back to speak and my face trailed after his. I felt lonely until he put his arms around me in a warming embrace.

"I... I realised that I fell in love with you only a few weeks ago, at the beach." He whispered into my ear, stroking my bangs out of the way.

"Right. Because you saw me in a bikini."

"No no no! It's because I saw you risk your life for a stranger. You didn't even think of calling the lifeguards, you just went in." I felt flattered.

"You know, I'm happy your Jekyll side came back to me."

He smirked in a way that made me crazy. "Me too. And this is me making you a promise right here, right now, to never ever hurt you again." He said holding out his pinkie.

I took ahold of it.

We hugged again and it felt so unreal. So happy. He looked at me with those sapphire blue eyes which seemed to have regained its shine. He closed his eyes and gave me a soft kiss on the forehead.

Suddenly, he said the three words I have wanted to hear for almost a year now. "I love you." He whispered onto my skin. "I love you too." It felt weird and new to say it, but in a good way.

"Um... Happy new year?" I said, and we burst out laughing. "This is the first thing I want to do this year." He said.

I was confused. He got down on one knee. I gasped. "Jeanette, will you do me the honour of being my girlfriend?" He asked with a nervous smile.

"What kind of a question is that?" I said, and his smile faded.

"Of course I will!" I said and he gave a relieved sigh. "Thank goodness! I almost thought you were going to say no." He chuckled and got up. So, we walked through the park, hand in hand. It was hard, I'll admit, but worth it in the end. I looked at him, and he looked at me. This was what it was like, falling for the boy with sapphire blue eyes.

THE END!