Chapter 6:

Zack

Jeanette was right. Why was I doing this? Things at my house have been completely messed up.

My dad left us to fend on our own, and my mom is struggling, having to work full time to provide food on the table for my little sister and I. It's a stupid reason.

I've been making bad choices. The worst one by far was to tease accept the dare to play around with Jeannette.

It was Sarah who put me up to it anyways. But the look of hurt and utter hatred in her eyes when she slapped me, made my heart drop to my stomach.

And to think she had a crush on me? Why on earth would she fall for someone like me?

When she ran away, I looked down and touched the spot where she slapped me, trying to process what was going through my mind.

"Boy, what a sore loser, don't you think?" Sarah gave a nervous laugh, and I could tell she was trying to lighten up the mood, but honestly? She was only making it worse.

I was trying to contain my anger at Sarah, but it was too hard when she put her hand on my shoulder.

"Zack... I..." She started, but I cut her off.

"No, Sarah. You know what? I did the dare, okay? Are you satisfied? Now stop touching me and let me be." I replied coldly and shook her off, running in the direction that I saw Jeannette.

I stopped dead in my tracks when I reached the janitor's closet, because I heard sobbing.

I listened closely, feeling the guilt eating away at me. I wanted to go in there and hold her in my arms, and tell her that I'm sorry.

But I knew that if I walked in there now, she would only see me as a bully. A jerk. A monster.

I felt something pull me away from the door with such a force that I was janked backwards, and slam me onto a nearby locker.

Immediately my eyes fell on Amy, holding me by the collar, a cold silver glare serving as a nerve wrecking replacement for her gentle grey eyes.

"Listen here and listen well, you two faced jackass. I don't know what the hell you're trying to achieve, but let me tell you right now that I don't always seem so kind and gentle as I appear to be. If you as much as try to come near Jeannette, try to touch Jeannette, or even think about Jeannette, I will beat your sorry ass up so hard you will see your ancestors cringe. Got it?" She hissed, scaring the living crap out of me.

I nodded and she let me go, walking to the Janitor's closet.

I gripped my neck, because she basically suffocated me.

I walked away, going to my classes, although I never listened to a word the teachers said for the rest of the day.