Chapter 16: friends and heartbreaks

A/N: We have a winneeer! The winner of the competition is kkra4100 who came up with the new shipname of *turns head* Drumroll please! *silence follows* ...Carl? CARL! Hit the drumroll you dumbass! No don't eat it! Ugh! Just let me do it! Drrrrrrrrrrrrrr *smash* ZACETTE! Woooo!! Also, if you look at the picture, you will see Ashleigh and Amy.

Jeanette:

Long story short, we packed up and went home the next day. I spent the last three days of holiday on Netflix, since it was so cold outside.

I got a serious cold since I came back from summer and arrived at winter. When I walked into the school I spotted Amy smiling at me, with a soft pink knitted sweater and skinny jeans.

Ashleigh was sitting on a cafeteria table with her legs crossed. She spotted me and waved. "Hi Jay Jay!" She yelled.

"Hi Ashy!" I yelled back. When I got to them I gave them both a big hug. "How was London?"

"It was great! We even got the chance to stop by my aunt Linda's place!" Amy said excitedly.

"Yeah. Check it out! She even got a London hoodie my size!" Ashleigh said, showing me a picture of a blue hoodie with a Union Jack flag on it.

"Wow! Your aunt has good taste!" I said to Amy, earning a soft smile from her.

So we chatted between periods, and pretty soon the school ended.

I was walking along the corridor towards the school exit, when I heard a lot of commotion and looked around the corner.

I saw Zack and Sarah, faces very close to each other. Zack's back was facing me so I couldn't see his expression.

Suddenly, without warning, Sarah grabbed Zack by the back of the head and kissed him. He wasn't really fighting her, and it felt like a spear made out of broken glass pieces went flying straight through my heart.

It hurt so much to see this. I didn't hesitate to start running, crying. I ran and ran until I couldn't see clearly because of the tears. Droplets crawled down my cheeks, crystalising into ice because of the cold, stinging my cheeks and eyes. Dad was right, boys don't change.

I kept walking homeward, shaking with sobs. Just when I started to calm down, he showed up. Again.

"Jeanette! Jeanette!" I heard his voice and footsteps, going after me again. "Go away, Zack." I said without turning my head, hearing my shaky voice.

"Jeanette, what you saw back there was a mistake. I-" What he said infuriated me. I spun around and faced him.

"A mistake? Ha. You've said enough, Zack! I've shed too many tears on your expense! This summer I thought you changed. I let you dance with me. We almost kissed, Zack!" I hissed angrily.

I could see that he was frustrated. He came over to me and firmly put his hands on my shoulders. "Jeanette, maybe if you could stop interrupting me, I could gladly explain to you what happened." He said, and even though I was so mad at him, his minty breath sent shivers down my spine.

"But I-mmmph" I wanted to say when he covered my mouth with his gloved hand. I kept trying to protest but they only came out as muffled sounds.

"No, no, don't talk. Just listen."

I lost it. I ripped myself furiously from his grasp and held my ground.

"I want to be able to listen to you! I just can't find it in me to trust you again after all you've done to me." I said. "You don't know heartbreak like I do."

"Oh so now you think I don't know heartbreak? My dad left us without saying a word! I have no idea where he is or what he's doing. Hell, I don't even know if he's still alive!"

I was silent for a few moments. "That's different."

"It's not different! Maybe it wasn't over a girl but I still felt heartbreak. Because of him, my mom had to take two jobs! He left without a trace. Now, I hate that bastard for leaving us. I hate him."

"See, that's why it's different! I'm still in love with you!" I snapped. Instantly realising what I just said, I clapped my hand over my mouth.

Zack's brows lifted in shock but fell down again in confusion. When I regained my confidence, I looked him in the eye.

"Let me explain to you what you did to me. You stole my heart once, and then you threw it back in my face.

Then I was actually stupid enough to think that you would be more careful with it this time since I just taped it back together again, but no! You just had to toss it into a paper shredder and watch it shatter all over again!" I rambled, stunning him. "I just can't find it in my heart to trust you that quickly again."

"Then I'll wait. I'll wait for you to be able to trust me again, Jeanette. I don't care how long it's going to take, I won't leave your heart to break again."

"Goodbye Zack."

Having him defeated and standing there like an arm wrestler without arms to wrestle with, I turned around and started walking away. "Don't try to talk to me again." I left him with that sentence.

When I arrived home, I walked upstairs, shut the door, sat on my bed and cried in silence. My mind was clouded. Why he still went after me even though he knew that he kissed Sarah, I have no idea.

I needed someone to talk to right then, so I called Amy. "Hey Jay. What's up?" She said with her gentle voice. "Hi Amy. Can you come over to my place?" I said, trying not to sound like I've been crying since I left school.

"Of course! I'll be there in a few minutes." She replied and hung up.

I went downstairs to make us two packs of two minute noodles. When I was done dividing it in the bowls, I heard the doorbell. I went to answer and Amy stood there. At first she looked happy, but the moment she saw my bloodshot eyes, her smile faded and she looked concerned.

She didn't hesitate to comfort me. She came towards me, sliding her arms under mine and bringing them up against my back, hugging me in a supportive manner. Amy has been studying psychology, and thus she took the hint that I needed company and someone to talk to.

To make a long story short (once again) while eating two minute noodles, we talked and I told her about everything that happened at the beach and what I just experienced.

She calmed me down, gave me some advice and even offered to beat up his sorry ass, which I refused of course. Both he and I have had enough arguing for one day.