Chapter Eighteen

Ben sighed as he made his way toward Audrey's dorm. He knew he should head straight to the council room and greet the members as they arrived, but he wanted to check on Mal.

Plus...there was a question that only Audrey could answer.

Lightly knocking on the door, he slipped in after hearing Mal's voice. Ben bit back a sigh as he looked around the room of his former girlfriend—it truly hadn't changed at all since they had dated. The walls were still that same shade of perfect princess pink, the array of photos on the mantle still showing the progression of their love as Audrey used to call it.

And then of course there was Audrey, sitting in her bed and glaring at Mal, Uma, and Estelle.

How can anyone glare at Estelle? And for that matter, when did Audrey wake up? I thought we knocked her and Freddy out back on the quad? Ben thought as he walked over to Mal.

"Hey," she said as she lightly wrapped her arms around him. Ben smiled as he gently kissed the top of her head. He couldn't help but sigh into her hair, this was his second trial as King and the second one that involved the family of one of his friends.

Though, if he was honest, Ben wasn't entirely sure he could even call Audrey a friend.

"You okay?" Mal asked him, having heard the sigh.

"...I don't know."

"Okay, it's okay Ben," Mal whispered. "It's understandable, she was one of your oldest friends. Hell, she was someone your parents thought would be a good spouse for you judging by that bloody contract to steal a phrase from Harry. You don't have to do this you know. No one would think any less of you if you abstained from this questioning."

Ben shook his head slightly. "I would think less of me. I'm the King, I can't just push my responsibilities onto other people. If nothing else, she's still one of my subjects and I have to see this through."

"Ben, she's also your former girlfriend and one of your oldest friends. Plus I don't think you've rested since we got the news that the scepter had been stolen. You need to sleep."

"I'll sleep when this is finished." Ben promised and then turned to look over at Audrey as Mal gently took his hand, as if to remind him that she was going to be by his side no matter what.

"What. Do. You. Think. You're. Doing. You. Filthy. Half. Breed?" Audrey snarled as she saw Mal's hand in Ben's.

"Comforting my fiancé who just had to deal with your and Freddy's reign of terror, Audrey!" Mal snapped back. "And really? 'Half breed'? At least get an insult that applies to me. There isn't anything 'half' about me!"

"Audrey, think about your next words very carefully. You're already in a lot of hot water for what you've done," Ben warned. "I'd advise that you execute your right to remain silent unless you want to answer our questions."

Audrey rolled her eyes as Mal gently rubbed Ben's back.

"It's okay Ben," she said, keeping her voice soft. "I can take whatever she throws at me. I've dealt with much bigger fish than her. And if you can't handle mere insults on the Isle, can you really call yourself a VK?"

"Of course not," Uma scoffed as she shook her head and even Estelle snorted as in in agreement. Ben couldn't help the soft smile that pulled at his lips.

I love you Mal, so so much. Even though you've been through so much, you're comforting me rather than getting that arm checked out.

"Bennyboo! You can't seriously be willing to let her talk to me like this!" Audrey exclaimed, pulling Ben out of his thoughts.