Chapter Forty Three

Emir sighed as he knocked on the door to his parents' study. It wasn't often he asked if he could borrow his dad's flying carpet. Normally he just took it and dealt with the consequences when he got back. But this was the one time he hoped beyond hope that his dad said yes.

It would completely ruin his proposal plans if he said no. The forecast was calling for a completely cloudless night with an almost completely full moon. There would be no better night.

Besides, he had faced his fears and asked Snow for her permission. There was no backing out now.

Emir sighed as he entered Snow White's castle. In all honesty he was more nervous than he thought possible. Yes he loved Emma with all his heart but he didn't really think her parents would necessarily approve of him proposing.

After all, he was only the second son of Agrabah while Emma was not only the heir to her throne but the unofficial heir to Auradon's throne. They'd probably want her to marry someone who was the first in line for his own throne as to make sure the guy wasn't trying to pull a Hans with their daughter.

Not that Emir necessarily blamed them for that.

"Your...your highness?" Emir asked as he walked into the throne room, a servant having let him in.

"Emir!" Snow said with a smile though Emir happened to note she was restringing her bow. If that was something she often did in the throne room, he had no idea but it definitely didn't help his nerves. "Come on in."

"Yes your highness," Emir nodded and he was thankful he pulled a Ben for this and wore a suit and tie. The last thing he'd want was to give the wrong impression even though he'd known the royal family for years.

"Emma's out right now," David added. "She's having a girl's day with Princess Elle."

"Actually I...I was hoping to ask you a question," Emir said. He knew Emma was out after all, Akiho had asked her to get Elle out of her castle so that he could ask permission of Ariel and Eric.

"Oh? What did you want to ask?" Snow asked, a small smile pulling at her lips.

Suddenly overtaken by nerves, Emir dropped down into a bow; one knee raised while the other rested on the stone floor and looked down at the floor. "I...I wanted to ask for your permission to...to ask for Emma's hand in marriage," he said.

"You want to ask for what now?"

"David," Snow said, a light scolding coloring her tone. She could see how nervous Emir was and it probably didn't help the fact that she was restringing her bow.

"Snow, you honestly think I'm—."

"Emir has never done anything to harm Emma and has brought her more happiness than I could think possible," Snow said. "It's clear that they love each other and I doubt they'd be getting married before King Ben."

Snow leaned forward and whispered in David's ear. "Besides David, Emir is one of King Ben's best friends. You honestly think he would try to pull a Hans?"

"...no," David sighed. "But...I don't want to see her grow up too fast Snow."

"Neither do I David. But you and I both know that if Emma finds out we said no for no legitimate reason, she'd never talk to us again. Or worse, she'll elope. I know you would rather walk your little girl down the aisle than miss out on that chance."

David sighed once more and nodded. Snow smiled and gently kissed his cheek before looking back at Emir.

"Emir, you know you don't have to bow," she said, amusement audible in her voice. "I think I speak for both David and myself when I say that we would be more than happy to give our approval of you proposing to Emma."