Chapter Fifty Nine

The day had officially arrived—August 13th, whatever the year was. The day all of Auradon had been waiting anxiously for. The day their King would marry his beloved bride.

Of course almost none of them knew that said King had already married said beloved bride but that was no matter. Ben and Mal were more than happy to keep it a secret; even taking off their wedding rings when they went out in public to avoid a ring tan revealing the fact that they'd been wearing their rings for when they would need to remove them for this wedding.

There'd been one time when Ben had accidentally called Mal his Queen during an interview with Snow White but thankfully Snow had said something about how amazing it was that they weren't even married and Ben was already referring to Mal as his Queen. How great it was to see the two of them so in love.

Ben smiled as he got dressed in his room over at his palace; Chip, Emir, Akiho, and Hadie getting ready in Chip's old room.

Yes Chip had his own room at Beast Castle. Why wouldn't he? He was family after all, plus he'd been called to babysit so many times it was just safer for him to have his own room.

Ben's parents had moved out of the castle over to the safe castle that was over in his grandfather's village. The place where his mother had lived for, granted a small, part of her life. And yes the castle might have held some less than positive memories for his father—that was why Ben was building them a new castle over near Belle's Harbor.

Mom and dad can decide where they want to live once it's complete, Ben thought as he pulled on his suit jacket. If they decide to move, the old castle can be used for a safe castle in case Auradon gets attacked again. It'll be good to have some place to...wait Mal can turn into a dragon. She'd never want to be put to the side. In fact she'd probably argue it'd be better for me to go to the safe castle even though I'm now immortal.

Yeah that had been a fun conversation to have with his wife. Congratulations, you're married...and you will also never die. Well scratch that—death by unnatural means like stabbing or poisoning was still possible but death by old age? Sickness?

And Ben knew that Mal would never let anyone close enough to him to potentially stab or poison him.

Oh yeah and at some point I'll stop aging too, Ben thought with a small sigh. He loved Mal and he was more than happy to live forever with her. But it still took some getting used to, the fact that he would live forever. Though...there is a lot less pressure now to have kids. We can do it when we want, not when people want us to or because we'd need an heir.

"You okay there Benji?" Chip asked, walking in and pulling Ben out of his thoughts.

"Yeah," Ben nodded. "Just thinking, that's all."

Chip chuckled. "You thinking about the fact that in less than twenty four hours, you'll be able to say that Mal's your wife without worrying that someone overheard you?"

"Well...no...but now that you bring that up..." Ben said, grinning from ear to ear. "Gods, I can't believe I'll be married. Well officially after today. I just wish I could see Mal you know?"

"Ah yes but you can't," Chip nodded. "Tis tradition after all, you don't want bad luck to befall your marriage."

"Stupid tradition," Ben muttered as he fixed his tie. "I'm marrying a Godling after all, I'm pretty sure bad luck won't befall us."

"Don't piss off the fairies Ben," Chip told him. "You never know where bad luck is going to strike after all."

"I know Chip, trust me," Ben nodded. "But still, I think Mal and I will be okay in terms of our luck. I didn't get to see her before the Lake wedding, is it too much to ask that I get to see her before this one? There's a lot more pressure here with dignitaries from all over—even most of the Gods from Olympus will be there. I think Mal said that Lady Aphrodite was looking forward to it."