Chapter Thirty Five

CJ smiled slightly as she walked around Auradon Prep's grounds with Ryan. It was a good way to destress after that execution. She was kinda surprised Harriet had let her go but CJ had stood her ground—after all she'd finally found out what that comment was that Freddy had made regarding her.

Let's just said if Mal hadn't killed Freddy, CJ would have.

Though I can't blame Harriet for her protectiveness when I was growing up or today, CJ thought with a small sigh. The whole reason I had to be in the back was because she didn't want to risk Freddy escaping and somehow getting at me. Not like he'd be able to—what with the barrier and with Harry, Harriet, Henry, Jay, and Ryan all there. Plus you know I am rather skilled with a sword.

"Your hair's not braided," Ryan said, his voice soft yet loud enough to break the silence.

CJ shrugged, brushing a hit of hair behind her ear. She'd taken to wearing her hair in a ponytail since she got to Auradon. "I haven't had braids in a while. No one here does them as well as you do. Harry offered once but the end result just wasn't the same. Evie offered after that but...like I said, no one here does them as well as you."

"Well if you want your braids back...let me know while I get used to the fact that we are apparently allies with Evie. Mal had mentioned it earlier but it's still strange to think about," Ryan said, giving her a small smile. "For you, I'd be more than happy to do them...in fact, come on. We can sit under that tree there and I'll get it done for you."

CJ smiled as they walked over to said tree; Ryan sitting down so that he was between CJ and the tree before quickly getting to work braiding her hair. He was still rather well practiced at them so it took no time at all.

"Thanks," CJ said with a grin as she turned around. Taking a chance, she placed a small kiss on Ryan's lips. She wasn't going to lie, she'd always dreamed a little of having Ryan be her first kiss; something about the way his green eyes almost glowed with amusement whenever they did something they weren't supposed to drew her to him. She felt him stiffen in shock but it lasted for maybe a minute before he returned the kiss, smiling into it.

"It...it doesn't have to mean anything," CJ said as she pulled back. "We can put it in the 'never speak of this again' drawer if you want but I...I wanted that to happen just once."

"You've no idea how long I've wanted to do that," Ryan said, his voice no higher than a whisper. "It's just...you're a Hook after all. Plus you're my best friend. I...I didn't think it'd be right..."

CJ shook her head. "Why wouldn't it be right? You'd rather be kissing strangers?"

"Like I said, you're a Hook," Ryan said with a sigh and a slight shrug. "But I'd much rather kiss you than a stranger."

CJ shook her head once more, trying not to think about the fact that Ryan and Ginny had once kissed back on the Isle. "Ry...being a Hook doesn't make me any different from you. Just means I'm a bit better with a sword than most..."

"Ceej, you're practically pirate royalty. You'll be the captain of any crew you choose to be..." Ryan sighed. "But like I said, you're also my best friend. It might not have been my first kiss...but it's the one that counts in my book..."

"Ry, the Isle doesn't have royalty and if it did, then it's Mal, Hadie, and Uma. Not me. Yeah I mean the Hooks are well known in pirate circles and sure I could probably walk into a pirate meeting and the room would stop talking once they knew. But that doesn't mean you're nothing. And it counts in my book too...it was my first kiss...even if I do have to now restrain myself from going off and maiming Ginny..."