Chapter Twenty Two

Uma sighed as she made her way into Harry's dorm. School may have been done and technically he could have gone back to Elizabeth Turner's house to relax or anything. But seeing as Mal and Ben were still trying to tie up loose ends, Harry and Jay opted to stay at Auradon Prep.

As did Uma. If Mal needed them for any reason, they'd be there.

"You decent?"

"I'm a VK Uma. When are we ever decent?" Harry chuckled as he picked his head up from his pillow. Jay wasn't there; he was in the nurse's office getting the scratches on his arm taken care of. Harry had been determined to break from Jay's grip after all. After that though, Harry was sure that Jay'd be with Lonnie.

"You're taking Jay's joke," Uma told him.

"You took Mal's," Harry said as he plopped his head back on his pillow. "I should go get Harriet and CJ, let them know that it's all over you know?"

Uma nodded as she sat down on Jay's bed. "I'm glad they're still at Evie's though. I wanted to talk to you."

"About what cap'n?" Harry asked as he sat back up, propping himself up on his elbows as he looked over at her.

"About what you said after you knocked Freddy on his ass."

"Oh. Right," Harry nodded and sat up, swinging his feet over so that he was looking right at her. "I meant it by the way. Uma, I've...I know I'm breaking about fifty VK rules but I've loved you since I knew what feelings were. The thought about Freddy being anywhere near you..."

"You know he wouldn't get the chance right?" Uma asked him. "Mal, Jay, and you wouldn't let him—not to mention I'd skewer him if he beat you three."

Harry gave her a small smile, a smile that Uma returned as she got up and sat next to him. "For what it's worth...and I know I'm not the best when it comes to my feelings but...I've felt the same."

Harry turned his head so quickly Uma thought he had broken his neck. "You...you have?"

"Come on, didn't you ever wonder why I stopped talking to you for about two weeks when we were thirteen? After I caught you with Mal?"

"Well yeah I did. I mean, nothing happened with Mal, Uma. She wanted to know what a flirtationship was like and I was the one she trusted to not let it go further than just flirting. She said that the Dragon said that it made her look weak, not having a match. By the way, it felt wrong doing it. It was like flirting with Harriet honestly."

"So why'd you do it?"

Harry shrugged. "Mal asked me, and I wanted to make sure she'd be okay. With Freddy and Zevon out there...you and I both know that detergent boy would have stopped at nothing to have Mal by his side and the less said about Freddy the better."

"That's true," Uma nodded, chuckling slightly at the nickname for Zevon, going off of th comment Akiho had made months ago. "But why not send her to Jay?"

"She came to me first," Harry said. "To send her to Jay would have made her almost look desperate...or like Blueberry. You know, how she'd flirt with any of the sons of former royals to try to get herself a husband. But truly Uma, it meant nothing. We ended it after you found us anyway—it was more awkward than anything."

Uma nodded again and then sighed. "So...where does this leave us? Between you and me, I mean? You're my best friend Harry, you're the best First Mate...I don't..."

Before Uma could say anything more, Harry gently grabbed her head and connected her lips to his. A shock wave ran through Uma's body at the touch and she held back a gasp. She hadn't been expecting Harry to do that but...she wasn't going to lie, she enjoyed it.