Chapter 10: The Battle For The Goblin Village

A not-so-long chappie presented to you by yours truly. I made a huge changes on Kiyotaka's skill, catch the skit.

~ ~ ~ ~

3rd Person POV:

Direwolves- monsters originating in the east. They live their lives wondering and ambushing weak merchants.

Individually, direwolves are ranked by the guild as C-rank monsters- not much of a threat, to say the least.

However, the real problem comes when they go in groups. On such occurrences, they go up a rank to B-rank monsters.

Nevertheless, that's not always the case. Only when a talented alpha was leading the horde did the direwolves show their real worth. The entire pack would act as a single mind, a single creature, every member acting in lockstep. Such a pack, in full motion, could easily be rated a B.

The leader of the current pack, know full well how many comrades he lost before. He's also well-informed about the strength of the Empire residing in the east.

Attacking low-scale merchants isn't enough for the Empire to take action. However, if they ever step foot on the grain field own by the said Empire, they will surely retaliate.

However, by the how the things are going in the current situation, they won't go anywhere near their goal.

As a rule, they don't need to eat foods to survive, solely relying on magicules is enough.

Eating humans and stronger monsters however, will be needed to become a catastrophic-level monsters. And surely, just by consuming weak monsters and passerby merchants isn't enough for that.

Then they heard tales of the southlands. A fertile territory, one with a forest that offered all its blessings-a vast store of magic. A paradise for monsters, so it was said. In order to reach it, though, they would have to traverse the vast Forest of Jura.

The monsters of this wood were, in and of themselves, no great foes. Their past experience hunting the stragglers wandering out of it proved as much. So why had they shied away from entering it themselves?

Simple: Veldora the Storm Dragon. He was the one and only reason. Even when he was within his prison, the waves of dreadful magical force shook their very hearts.

The creatures in the forest, they believed, enjoyed the dragon's divine guardianship-which was why they could survive under those scorching waves. That was what they had to believe. Otherwise, the truth would drive them mad.

So despite how it pained them daily, the direwolves had given up on infiltrating the forest.

Until now.

The alpha turned his bloodred eyes toward the forest.

That evil, horrid dragon could no longer be felt. Now is the time he thought

To hunt the forest clean of monsters-and then we may become the lords of the forest.

The idea made him lick his lips and sound the howl commanding his pack to advance.

* * * *

Kiyomoru POV:

After the meeting with the elder and the leader of the village, I left the hut to check how much manpower we've got.

The village, to say the least, looks peaceful...

...on the outside.

The number of elderly, women and children counts much more than the ones who can actually fight.