A Story

It wasn't even a battle.

At the sight of the two kages,the men tried to flee immediately.But one of them,the insect summoner,was injured by Reto.He called for the others in a weak voice.One of his friends came forward....

....Only to plunge a Kunai  into his chest and then disappear into thin air with the rest.

Reto sighed,looking at the place  from where the perpetrators had disappeared .'What rotten luck...But,'His eyes were sharp as he turned to look at Hashirama,'We now have something of a clue.'He nodded towards Kanoko.'Thank you.'

'Take the body away,'He ordered to the shinobi who appeared.

From the corner of her eyes,Kanoko glanced at Hashirama,who seemed uncharacteristically grim....

                                                                   *************************

After dinner,Hashirama sighed.'kanoko.'

He had seemed unhappy ever since the incident in the morning,but hadn't said anything until now.

'Yes?'Kanoko replied cautiously.She wasn't afraid of him,but his mood was...strange.It was better to be careful.

Unexpectedly,Hashirama asked,'Do you want to hear a story?'

'Alright.'Kanoko agreed,although she was extremely confused.

'Once upon a time,there was a boy.He was rather...stupid,'Hashirama winced for some reason,'But he had a dream.That everyone would live in harmony.He had a friend who had the same dream as him,and when they became adults,for a while,they worked together to make it come true....'

'Then?'Kanoko said gently.

'He thought that they wished the same thing,but after becoming an adult,his friend's values and ideals changed,and he left.They became enemies,clashing repeatedly,until finally,the boy defeated the person who was once his best friend.'Hashirama looked wistful.

'It's your story,isn't it?You and Madara-sama?'

Hashirama nodded,smiling sadly.'Do you know why I said this to you?'

Kanoko shook her head.

Hashirama said slowly,'What I wanted wasn't just harmony,but peace in the true sense of the word.I thought maybe I had come somewhat close to my goal....'He sighed.'But every so often,things like what happened today remind me that it is just wishful thinking.You were as prepared to kill those men today as they were to kill you.Spilling blood is still a natural instinct of Shinobi.'Hashirama shook his head.'It seems that the day when it changes is still far away...'

Kanoko didn't know what to say as Hashirama stared out the window,his eyes dim.