Chapter Six - ✿ Friend or Foe? ✿

We stared at each other in the dim cave light for a few moments, until I broke the silence with a whisper.

    "Traitor." My voice was barely audiable, less of a whisper and more of just a breath, but Kevin heard me.

    "I am not, Crystal, I swear. This was the important thing I had to do. Please understand," he said calmly, a calmness I couldn't understand, staying at the run-off cave's mouth.

    "The uniform—"

    "Is a disguise. Do you think I would betray you so soon after you put yourself in such danger?"

    I ignored his question. "How long?" I longed to say more, but my throat was closing up. My eyesight was even blurry with tears.

    "Just after your ability. I never really went on a new journey, I headed to Celadon just after you headed for Vermillian. They had some suspisions, but..." He trailed off and cleared his throat. "Now they trust me, and they know that you would tell me anything, so they plan to use me—"

    "—To find me and my Pokémon, and bring us to Giovanni," I finished for him. "Kevin, why did you never tell me? How can I even trust you right now?"

    "I know about the chip," he continued, "and I know you destroyed part of J's ship. That was awesome, by the way." He laughed, then was serious again. "I also know what Team Rocket knows about what happened to you. They've monitored my communications not-so-secretly, so I couldn't contact you, Bill, or anyone without being discovered. Giovanni knows about the Electrike incident, and now is making anti-Pokémon technology so that you can't do that in the future."

    "Any good news? They've chased me around for about five weeks."

    "Actually, yes. I am one of their new mechanics." He smiled triumphantly as my jaw hit the cave floor.

    "What? That isn't good news!"

    "I like to... improve their newest items. I've done it little, so far, so I am not suspected. Soon I will be working on this anti-Pokémon tech and improve that."

    I got up and wiped a hand over my eyes. "You know you scared me half to death with that uniform, right?"

    Kevin smirked at me, something friendly, "Yes, I expected that. Though I was expecting you to flee more, or even have one of your Pokémon out."

    "I had Lucario out, but I must've returned him blindly in my grief and fear." I smiled ruefully. "Guess we have some work to do."

    There was a pause. "They are only considering letting me work on the new tech," Kevin admitted slowly. "They think that, even with all the time I've wasted, I am at best on the fence."

    "Then it's about time we start working you into their trust."

    "How?"

    "Me."

    There was silence that seems to last forever. Kevin just stared at me as if I grew a second head all during it. "No. You're joking."

    "Dead serious, Kevin," came my serious reply.

    "Crystal, this could end bad. You do know that?"

    "I know it as well as the dangers you and Bill foresaw when I got the Ditto ability."

    Kevin started pacing back and forth at the cave mouth. "Do you have any ideas then?" he asked at last, slowly.

    "Yes." I reply. "It has to happen here, in Mt. Moon."

    Kevin once more just stared at me. "You wanted to make a base here though!"

    "Exactly. They still won't be able to trace me, and they should assume I go to another mountain or wilderness. Then I can actually stay here. Besides, I should re-learn these tunnels soon enough. We can wait a while before you 'try' to convince me that everything's fine and no one is outside Mt. Moon. I need to practice my ability, anyway." I add slowly.

    Kevin was nodding slowly. "Alright, but what if you fail?"

    "You keep up your Rocket charade."

    "But this is what we don't want to happen! Don't you see?"

    "I see very well. I have an ace up my sleeve, Kevin, and I'll start practicing it. It shouldn't be too hard to do." I smiled a mischievously.

    "What is it?"

    "You shouldn't know, so you can't know how I get away. You have to trust me that I can do this."

    "Crystal..."

    "This has to happen, Kevin," I interrupted. "Now go back to Celadon or wherever before you're missed. I'll practice here in silence and secret." I hugged him. "I have Charizard, Persian, and Venusuar, remember," I said softly, and then retreated to the back of my cave, Kevin now leaving. Then he looked back over his shoulder, said "I'll be in Celadon, in the Rocket Game Corner," and turned a corner.

    For a while I sat in darkness, thinking of how to do this. I have to be able to control it. Just as I was about to start practicing, I remembered to have someone out with me, so they can keep watch or give advice. I grabbed Luxray's heal ball and called her out.

    "Luxray," she shook herself and got used to the darkness. Even though she has a Luxray's special sight, she hasn't done this in a while.

    "Hey Luxray." I hugged her, then told her what I plan to learn, and that I need her to keep watch. "If anyone comes, let me know. No one must find us here," I finished. She nodded and walked over to the shadows of our cave, watching. Her black fur helped her blend in with the shadows. I moved back to the dead end and started practicing. There was little light to judge from, but I figured I would know when it happened.

✦ ✦ ❦ ✦ ✦

    I kept practicing. Eventually, it worked.

    With half my mind controlling my ability and half my mind for controlling myself, I moved toward the cave mouth and Luxray. Luxray heard me, though she heard another sound as well. Footsteps. I knew what the other source of footsteps was from, but she didn't. She growled.

    "It's okay, Luxray. I'm the only one here." I stepped into the dim light at the mouth of the tunnel, and something pale and humanoid stood beside me. "This will ensure Kevin gets Giovanni's trust."

✿ ✿ ✿

Sorry for this chapter being all dialogue and short ^_^" I swear I didn't mean it!
I needed to make plans, though. Plus, the drama that is here. That's good enough, right? (There hopefully won't be anymore dialogue chapters.) Also, the "pale humanoid" will be a fun thing to use in the future, along with another "ability" ;3