Chapter Ten - ✿ We Are One And The Same ✿

I started to wake up, and the Hypno outside my cell turned to me, wielding his hypnosis pendulum surprisingly threateningly. I shut my eyes as I saw him move it, thinking over and over, Practice resisting, practice resisting. Then footsteps came from the door, not too far down from where my cell was. "Hypno, stop," came a quiet and authoritative voice. It was a woman, strangely enough. I hadn't seen--much less interacted with--any female Rocket members so far, not that the ones I knew from before this insanity were any better than the guys. "Crystal, you are once again requested to come and see Giovanni." She turned her head to where I suddenly saw Kevin's face. I had to keep myself from growling, seeing him in a cage like mine. "You too, Kevin."

      Kevin and I locked eyes. He nodded to me while the grunt was unlocking my cell, and I returned the nod when she was undoing his cell's lock. The Hypno watched me, the stupid pendulum moving back and forth slightly. I opened my cell door when the Rocket opened Kevin's, and I went over to him and hugged him. He hugged me back. "I'm sorry, Kevin," I breathed, too quietly for the grunt to hear.

     Who said she wasn't heartless? "Alright, let's go already. Hypno, you stay here." We let each other go and followed our escort, side by side. No one seemed concerned that only one person was sent to get us; as a matter of fact, they hardly even looked at us. A silence stretched out between us.

     "What's your name?" I blurted out, the silence broken now.

     "My name is Jess. Now. Shut. Up."

     Jess led us through many confusing hallways. I was the only one who looked at absolutely everything, Kevin probably had been here before. All over this place, maybe. Finally we stopped at a door. "No," I said, standing in front of my brother. Time for another illusion, Kevin, I thought, connecting our minds again. I started glowing white, like when a Pokémon evolves, but after a few seconds, it faded, and there I stood, looking tired. What are you doing? Oh, making it seem like you are just unable to shift, with this good escape opertunity. Kevin held my arm firmly as I feinted light headedness.

     Jess just stared, bored, then knocked on the door. "Enter," came Giovanni's voice. Jess opened the door, and Kevin led me through. The door closed, and I just barely heard the click of a lock in place. "Welcome back." Giovanni's voice wasn't even remotely friendly, as it was last time. "I hope you both have enjoyed your stay here."

     Kevin's grip on my arm tightened for a moment as I tensed. The one thing I really wanted in that moment was to throw myself at Giovanni, to attack him when everyone else thought I was now powerless. Instead, and with Kevin's mute warning, I replied through gritted teeth, "We like it just fine, scumbag. Keeping us in cages is exactly how I want to spend the rest of my life."

     "Good." Team Rocket leader pulled out a small device and pressed multiple buttons on it. It sounded quite a bit like a keyboard. "Now, this will be interesting, don't you think, Kevin?"

     My brother's eyes widened when I looked at them, and it was his turn to stand in front of me. "No, I don't, and you can't anyway. I'm not in cement on Hunter J's airship; I'm not a weak, inexperienced trainer fresh out of Pallet Town. I know your machinary. You can't send us both in the simulation."

     "He can try," I put in, ominously quiet. "He will try. But Giovanni, there's just one problem."

     Giovanni looked mildly intrigued. "Oh? And what is that, Crystal?"

     "This is what." Suddenly my bones started snapping, and I heard both men gasp. They must've heard my bones. Soon, however, I was an Onix. "Get on!" I ordered Kevin, watching Giovanni's every move. I was mentally going through what moves would be most helpful in getting out.