13 - The Raid - Part 2

I got Daisy to jump up on my back and I grabbed my two guns from the ground, making sure not to turn to let her see the body in the stairwell. I handed Dan the regular pistol and kept my laser pistol. Using one arm to hold Daisy's hand, and one to hold the laser gun in case we needed it, I jogged down the hall with Daisy on my back and Dan at my side.

"How did you get in?" I asked.

"Front door," Dan smirked, "Remember, I'm not as visible as you are."

"Yeah but, if I didn't have the cloaking device I'd..." My sentence trailed off as I remembered Daisy was literally on my back listening to all of this. I was about to say I'd be dead...

Thankfully, Dan just said, "I know."

A few more gunshots rang out both behind and in front of us, distant, but definitely gunshots. Players were fighting all around us. This is definitely a raid, and everyone is looking for me, Dan, and possibly some others...

"Davie?" My sister said quietly, "What's happening?"

I adjusted Daisy on my back, "...You remember the show on TV that comes on every year? The one that you really aren't allowed to watch? Me and Dan... are in it."

"...So you have to go get all the bad guys?" She asked hopefully.

"N-No we..." I sighed, looking at Dan for help.

We had made it to an intersecting hall and went up to the corner, leaning on the wall. Dan cleared his throat, glancing at us, "Once you're safe, Daisy, David and I will be gone from here for a long time. It's just the way it is."

"But, why?"

"Wouldn't we like to know that..." Dan mumbled.

"W-What matters now," I said, "Is that we get you out of here safe."

Daisy squeezed me, "Are you going to be safe when I'm safe?"

"...We'll see," Dan said, holding his guns up to the sides of his face and pointing up. He peeked down the intersecting hallway.

"What?" Daisy sounded upset, "I want Davie to be okay when he's not home!"

I sighed, "L-Look... We can't make any promises. You'll... understand when you're older..."

"But-"

"Shh," Dan pulled his head back and gripped his guns harder, "We've got company."

I tensed, "One?"

"Two, looks like another team."

"Great..."

"A-Are they gonna hurt us?" Daisy hugged me tighter.

Dan took a deep breath and looked over at us, "Daisy, close your eyes, and stay as low as you can on David's back."

Daisy shifted slightly further down so she was almost all hidden by me. Dan stood off the wall, and after psyching himself up a little, he winked at me, then sprinted to the side. Shooting both guns back and forth, he strafed to the other side of the hall. I felt Daisy jump when he started shooting. Just dodging their return fire, Dan made it to the other side, quickly reloading.

"David! Come on! I'll cover you!"

I readied my gun, and once Dan was ready, I started to strafe-run across as fast as I could without tripping. Looking down the hall, I fired a bolt at the wall close to where one of them was hiding, distracting them with the small explosion it caused. I made it across as they returned fire, not a scratch on either me or Daisy. Dan fired a couple of shots as I went by him before turning and running after me.