8 - First encounter

A/N: ...It hasn't been a month since I updated this, what are you saying?
...Oops lol.
Been busy writing other things in the background. I have many plans for other things, not just this book... Enjoy as David begins playing The Game, for real this time.

Ugh, where the fuck am I going? ...Oh fucking finally, a house! Took me long enough! Now what the fuck do they want me to do, raid it? Fine, sure, why not? I've got nothing else to - wait... I think I know this house.

I hopped the fence and went around the front... And... I'm back in my hometown? Shit... When Dan said our area, I thought he meant like our region, not our actual town... Maybe I can be nice and ask people I know if they can help me out? Not everyone that is a player has to kill and be an asshole... unless of course they tell me to... but... I... I can't kill someone.

"David?"

Recognising that voice, I turned around, "Brenda?"

The elderly poodle looked me up and down. She was dressed like she always was, a frilly pink dress with pale yellow flower designs dotted about the fabric. She was gripping her white purse on her left side, and was likely on her daily walk. Sometimes Daisy and I would pass her by on our way to school and she'd give us candy. Everyone in town liked her.

"Oh lord... Is it true?" She asked, her voice quivering slightly, "I thought I heard your name on the Game channel."

I solemnly nodded, "Yeah, that's right."

"I'm... so sorry dear..."

"I'm going to hold our for as long as I can," I attempted a smile, "I could use some help, if you'd be so kind."

"Of course dear," She fumbled with her purse for a bit until she found her wallet. She handed me fifty dollars, and an old swiss army knife. As I took the knife, she said, "This is all I have on me, and I can offer you a bed for one night, if you'd like."

"I'll keep that in mind, thank you," I gave her a quick hug.

"Good luck dear."

"Thanks," I nodded.

She hesitantly kept walking the way she was going before, while I went other direction. Not ten seconds after did I here something in my left ear, it sounded like the voice of my game manager... I never did learn his name.

He said, "Status update. Public sympathetic with your actions. However, sixty-three percent of your watchers voted for your next interaction to be more violent."

I felt in my ear, and lo and behold, I was wearing an earpiece. Funny how I hadn't noticed that before. That does explain how he'll stay in contact with me, however long that might be.

I kept wandering the streets, ignoring the houses that still had cars in them. If I had to rob someone, it'd be someone who's not home. No matter how awful I felt while doing it. If I survive longer than a few days, robbing people will be something I'll have to get used to, I guess... Though, if the majority of the game is to kill off delinquents and stop crime, why do they allow players the freedom to commit crimes when in Game? Doesn't that influence all the other teenagers and kids watching? Wouldn't that make them more likely to commit crimes? ...Huh, is that how the government is raking in cash? Get people to pay to watch people breaking the law and influence those people's kids to break the law so more people can pay money? Wow. Conspiracy theory much.

My earpiece beeped twice, "Attention, proximity to another player has increased."

"Whoopee," I said to myself, looking around, and over my shoulder, "Can't wait to meet them. Thankfully the grace period-