7 - Let the Game Begin

I was left alone for about ten minutes before the door opened once more. People dressed in all black, masks included, and big guns of course, walked in the room. Two stood on the walls directly beside me, and one stayed by the door. A TV was brought in, as well as a camera. The TV blipped on, and I saw Victor, arms spread wide, smiling.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back!"

He was speaking in that classic, showmanship kind of voice as if he was presenting something extraordinary... Oh shit, I forgot about the opening ceremony, that's what this was... great...

A short animation played, flashing company sponsors and even some highlights or dramatic moments from previous games, most of which were 'spectacular' kills. Next, all these things collected into individual screens and split off in many smaller screens, moving to collect in a grid around and behind Victor. Each one was showing somebody in a room similar to I was...

"Aaand here are the new players of the Gamma region!" Victor cheerily continued, "Each one of them bringing their own unique skill set that will certainly aid them in the coming weeks! If they... make it that far..." Victor cleared his throat, and he kept reading out the bullshit speech someone wrote for him to read during this ceremony.

It was the usual stuff, explaining the Game to the 'new viewers' and announcing the twists that may or may not occur. I had tuned out most of it, I heard it enough times to know what it was about. There are no laws for Players, Players can kill other Players, follow the rules and tasks they give you or you die... The gist of it is this: If you are a Player, play and die trying, or just die.

I wasn't listening very well because I didn't think there'd be anything new, and to be honest, I was trying not to panic a little. I heard him say something about a hacking challenge, but that was all I heard before he said, "These challenges will not only test a Player's skills, but will reward them with supplies, armour, weapons, anything and everything! It's part of this year's new twist on The Game that we like to call, The MiniGames!"

Wow. Give the guy who thought of that name a raise. Super original.

"Now, the Players behind me will be starting in the Gamma Region, and as a part of their regional twist, they will begin with a grace period." Victor stood off the podium, "And now, meet the Players of the Gamma Region!"

Then, one by one, each screen enlarged beside victor, showing the player he was naming. Some waved, some looked quite tough, some looked scared. Victor paid no heed to each of their reactions, simply reading off each name and moving on to the next one after a second or so. He had a lot of people to go through, so again I tried to tune it out, but my heart nearly stopped when he said the next two names.

"Mitchel Branton... Dan Cutler..."

Glancing at the screen, I saw Mitch's face briefly, but it was definitely him. Dan was next but I already saw him before... I had hoped in the back of my mind that both of them weren't in here though.

...Maybe it was the principal that nominated us. Fucking dickhead.

Victor simply resumed calling out names. Until he finally came to me, "And lastly, David Luther!"

I gulped, unable to do anything but sit there and stare at the camera.

What was odd was the screen remained on me and Victor for longer, and he said, "I gotta say, I have high hopes for this kid! Knock 'em dead David!"