9 - Bending the rules

We had only taken a few steps out of between the houses when we heard tires screeching, and surprisingly gunshots. Someone in a red car sped past us, and I think I caught him shooting out the back window at a black car. I definitely saw the drones following and circling each car though. Dan and I turned our heads as they drifted through an intersection, nearly crashing into a pedestrian and a car.

"Shit," I commented.

"Let's um, try to lay low, why don't we?" Dan smiled, as we walked the opposite direction.

"Yeah, sure, but how'd they get guns already?"

"They probably stole them... Which reminds me." Dan bent down as he walked, taking a sizeable stone from the side of someone's driveway, "You ready to break into someone's house?"

"Um, no," I smiled, "Not like that. Couldn't we do it quietly?"

"Recommendation," I heard from my earpiece, "Violence and excitement draw more watchers. Wit and jokes do not perform as well."

I sighed, "Okay, okay... So, throw a rock in a window hoping they don't have a security system and getting chased by the cops is a good idea then?" I paused, realizing, "...Wait." I searched my pockets, "Do you have a phone?"

"No, why?" Dan glanced at me.

"I might be able to hack into someone's security system and disable it before we break the window."

"Kay, great, but that's not that exciting now is it," Dan shot me an exasperated look, then pointed to the house coming up, "Let's go for this one."

Well... we do need food and stuff... and there looks to be no cars in the driveway, meaning nobody should be home. I guess... we rob the place? Yeah?

I nodded, though I wasn't happy about this, "Sure, if I could get a laptop that'd be great, I guess."

"You search for that and maybe some weapons, I'll grab food n' stuff. Oh and be on the lookout for bandages, kay?"

"Kay..."

Dan and I strolled up to the window, and he hefted the stone with his good hand. I glanced around quickly to make sure no one was watching, as Dan threw the stone. It sailed a short distance, and I flinched when the glass shattered... but there was no alarm. Dan backed up a bit as I peered inside, and I was surprised when Dan made a running jump through the window, clearing the glass shards on the ground and floor completely and rolling as he landed. Show off.

I gulped feeling guilty for doing this. Looking at my drone, I said, "Sorry to whoever's house this is..."

The window broke not very nicely, at least, not nice in the fact that just climbing in wasn't going to be easy. Thankfully, Dan tossed me the rock, and I cleared the windowsill for myself to climb in. Trying not to step on broken glass or graze myself on the window, I managed to climb in safely.

Of course, my earpiece beeped, "Dramatic actions are better to keep your viewers entertained. Try a running jump next time."

"Yeah, yeah," I grumbled.

Dan smiled slightly at me, already raiding the cupboards in the kitchen, "They telling you how not exciting you are?"

"I'll get used to it," I glanced back seeing the faint shimmer of our drones following us in through the window.

Then, I got an idea.

One drone flew over to watch what Dan was doing, while the other stayed by me. Perfect. I made it look like I was examining the little side table that was right by the window, but before the drone could move, I pulled the drapes on the window closed. The thing was cornered now.