𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

────── 〔❦〕──────

────── 〔❦〕──────

THE TALK OF HOGWARTS, for the next few days, was of nothing but Sirius Black. Theories sprung up on how he entered the castle. A girl from Hufflepuff, Hannah Abbott, spent her Herbology class telling anyone that Black could turn into a flowering shrub.

Some briefly mentioned Lilith and Elara Ambrose — claiming the Royal family was not so innocent and regal after all. They didn't know half of it.

Whilst everyone pointed fingers or insults, the Hogwarts attendee simply hoped her mother was alright in the Manor; dealing with less accusations and death threats. Elara ignored the comments and stares she got in the halls with ease, maintaining an unbothered facade. One of the few benefits gained from having Axel Ambrose and Lilith de Fitzroy as parents, was emotions were taught to be stored away and in check.

That didn't stop her from hexing several people in the crowded corridors. She was not once caught in action.

Herself and Potter were now being closely watched. Professors found excuses to walk along corridors with them; Percy Weasley was tailing Potter everywhere; the entire Slytherin House grew protective and never let Elara out of their sight. But most of all, Professor McGonagall had summoned them into her office one afternoon. She wore a sombre expression on her face the students thought someone must have died.

Elara hoped it was her father.

It was a nice macabre thought for a moment, yet she knew better than that. Some wishes simply couldn't be granted.

"I asked you both here today because I want to speak with you about Sirius Black."

"Minnie, I told Dumbledore the truth." Elara quickly defended, "I can assure neither myself or my mother had recent involvement with him."

Potter's eyes widened at her words. He was taken back that Elara referred to his Head of House as 'Minnie.' But he also didn't think there would come a day Dumbledore falsely accused someone, like Elara, to help Sirius Black. Then again, he didn't know much of her family's past in the Wizarding World.

"I wasn't under that impression," McGonagall replied solemnly, eyes softening at the girl sitting before her. "Your mother and Sirius Black had a fallout in Hogwarts. For that only, it's certain you may be in danger if he gets his hands on you." 

Lightly shaking her head, Elara looked down to her lap at those words. There had to be some Professor in the castle that believed there might be an ounce of innocence in Sirius Black. That he was here not to harm her or Potter — the children of his past friends — but for some different, unknown reason. How could she ever believe someone who was not given a trial — to be guilty? How could she believe Sirius wanted to harm her, when Elara knew her mother still cared for that man?