sixteen

sixteen

Harry and I fell asleep together, his arms wrapped around my body in a tight embrace. Harry's fingers were tangled in my hair and neither of us moved at all through the entire night.

Harry woke up before me, and I knew that because when I woke up and looked at him, his eyes were staring right back down at me. When our eyes met, a smile formed across his lightly chapped lips, which made me lean up and press a kiss to his cheek. "Mm, morning, sleepy head." Harry mumbled once my lips connected to his skin.

I smiled tiredly, my hand sliding up to cup the side of his neck as I curled closer to him. "Morning." I whispered, climbing out of the bed after a few more minutes of trying to wake up completely.

Dr. Lloyd walked into the room after an hour and smiled at us, a nurse trailing in behind her with a tray of food. She set the food down on the table and rolled it over to Harry's bed before quickly leaving the room. "So.." Dr. Lloyd started and pulled up a chair, sitting so both Harry and I could see her. "You can go home in a few days, Harry. You'll be in a wheelchair, but you already knew that. I just want to run a quick test, okay? Close your eyes." She said, nodding her head.

Harry nodded at her before letting his eyes fall shut, taking a deep breath as she lifted the blanket off of his legs. Dr. Lloyd began pressing her hand against his leg, moving it up to his knee then back down to his ankle with what looked to be a little pressure. "Can you feel anything?" She asked, looking up at his face.

"Nothing." Harry answered.

I watched as she nodded, my eyes staring at her hand as it added more pressure against Harry's ankle.

"Weight. My ankle feels heavy, but I cant feel if anything is touching me."

"Okay. Keep your eyes closed, honey. I want you to try and move your toes as much as you can." She told him, taking her hand away.

Harry's face scrunched up, his brow furrowing. I guessed he was focusing on moving his toes.

Dr. Lloyd and I watched his foot, my hands folded over my nose and mouth in an attempt to mask how hard I was breathing.

Harry's toes stayed still. His face scrunched even more. This time, I guessed he was trying not to cry.

"Is it moving?" I heard Harry ask, my eyes shifting up to see that his were still shut.

"Next leg." Dr. Lloyd said rather than answering his question, walking around to the other side of Harry before repeating the tests.

My heart felt like it was in my throat, cracked and broken, stabbing and cutting, when she announced the news to us. "Well.." She whispered, sitting down in the chair beside me. "Harry, I'm so sorry. I wish I could tell you good news. That you'll be able to walk, and play football, but that is just not the case. Your legs are completely paralyzed and there's nearly no chance of walking again. Again, I am so sorry."

Harry shrugged his shoulder, looking at Dr. Lloyd with a half smile. "You don't need to apologize. You didn't paralyze me." He told her, a slight laugh leaving his lips.

My brow furrowed in confusion, my thumbs twitching. "Harry," I started, but he cut me off.

"Don't, Niall. I knew I would never be able to walk as soon as I was hit. Niall, my body twisted almost all the way around. I knew it. Don't feel sorry for me. Don't look at me like a wounded puppy. I'm a man, and I can handle this. With you by my side, knowing that you love me, I can handle it. I will be okay with you here. I'm fine hearing this. Trust me, okay?"

"Harry-" I began.

"Niall, I'm fine." He chuckled, though his tone was completely serious.

"Har-"