nineteen

nineteen

I didn't want to leave Louis alone at the hospital, but Dr. Cabello convinced me that he would be fine and they had everything under control. I was still unsure as Luke and I left, though, a sick and nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach. Things clearly weren't under control if he even had the chance to attempt killing himself. I knew I wouldn't be able to handle losing Louis. He was my best friend, Zayn's too. We would both be completely lost without him. He always brought up everyone's spirits when we were all down, even if he was an ass about it sometimes. He was cocky and funny. He had a heart of gold, and a personality like no other. He could be serious, sensitive, and smart when need be. But he could be fun and full of jokes. He was everything anyone could ever want in a friend. He was everything I needed in a friend. I loved him.

In the car, I was silent. All I could think about was how much Louis must hate me for locking him up somewhere. All I cared about was him getting better, and he didn't seem to feel the same way.

"I'm sure he's going to be fine. He's Louis. He's strong and smart. He can get better." Luke finally spoke up as we were speeding down the freeway.

I nodded, but kept my mouth shut as my head leaned against the window. Louis was sick, and I was the only one that could see that. I was the only one that seemed to really care whether he survived this or not.

He is not okay. He is not fine.

Louis can't do this alone.

He's not as strong as everyone thinks he is.

Why am I the only one that can see this?

Louis. Needs. Us.

"Niall?" Luke spoke up, and I looked over to see him still focused on the road.

"What the fuck do you want?" I snapped, narrowing my eyes at him. His cheek looked soft, his eyes squinted slightly. His shoulders were tense, his hands gripping the wheel so tight that his knuckles were white. Luke's profile had always been stunning, and I would date him, but Harry...Harry was the love of my life. If I didn't know Harry existed, I definitely would probably have a crush on Luke. I looked closer, my face softening when I saw tears welling up in his eyes. "I'm sorry. What?" I said gently, tilting my head.

"I'm really worried about him." He spoke, turning his head to look at me before he quickly looked back to the road. "I mean he's always been so...strong. He's always been so happy. He was always joking around and having a good time. I just...I can't imagine living without him in this world, you know?"

"There wouldn't be a world to live in without him." I answered softly, looking back out the window.

Luke was worried. Just as worried as me, maybe even more.

"Niall, what's going to happen to him?" I could hear his voice breaking, going weak, as he spoke.

"Luke," I whispered and turned to look at him, setting my hand on his shoulder. "Louis is the bravest person I know. He is so smart, and strong. He can get through this. He's got doctors. He's got us. He will be okay, I promise you."

Luke nodded, looking content with my answer, only his hands loosening a bit on the wheel. He was still tense, a nervous look playing over his face.

"Luke?" I said quietly, leaning my head back as I continued watching him.

"Yeah?" He said, glancing at me before focusing his eyes back on the road.

"Do you think this is my fault?" I asked quietly, tears welling up into my eyes.