thirteen

thirteen

Harry and I ended up stuck in Buffalo for a week and a half before they felt he was good enough to be flown back to a hospital in Green Bay. I stayed at the hospital the entire time, sleeping in the most uncomfortable chair and position I've ever slept in. It was worth it though, to be by Harry's side. I slept with my hand in Harry's and my head resting against the edge of the bed, and every now and then my lips would press against the side of Harry's hand where his thumb and wrist met.

Harry and I watched the rest of the game, which the Packers lost. Harry wouldn't say anything to anyone for two days, but I knew he blamed himself. It wasn't his fault though, and I just wished he could understand that. I also wished there was something that I could do for him.

After the game had ended, Liam and Ashton had come to the hospital to visit, still in their dirty uniforms with the padding still underneath and their helmets in hand. It was as if the field was right outside our room and they just came right in.

"Hey, Harry." Liam said as he walked over to the other side of the bed. Harry stared straight ahead, not even acknowledging that any of us were even in the room. "Harry?" He said, looking down when he didn't respond. "I'm sorry we lost. We tried, Harry. We really did. What's the news on your condition?"

Harry didn't say anything, just blinked.

I sighed, looking from Harry to Liam as I slowly stood from my place on the chair. "Can I talk to you both in the hall?" I asked, to which they both agreed, stepping out of the room. "I'll be right back Harry, okay?" I said before kissing his cheek and walking out of the room to join Liam and Ashton. "He's um... He's having a hard time with the reality of all of this. The doctor said that he's never going to be able to play again... Legs don't really work..." I trailed off and looked at the floor, beginning to choke up.

It was extremely hard for me to be saying this. I never thought I would be saying this. Life was unpredictable though. I mean, you make plans for the future and you have an idea of how everything is going to go, but then it all gets destroyed and ruined. I just couldn't understand what Harry and I had done wrong that this happened to him. It just didn't make sense to me.

"He'll come back to himself, Niall. He's got you." Liam whispered, setting his mud covered hand over my arm. "Don't worry, okay? We have to go now, but we can come back if you want."

I shook my head, glancing at the door before looking back to the floor. "I don't think he wants any visitors." I whispered softly, pressing my back against the door once they had walked away. After a quiet moment to myself, I walked back into the room, looking at Harry as I let the door shut behind me. "I have to use the bathroom. I'll be right back, okay?"

Harry looked at me, but didn't respond. His skin was pale and his eyes were dark, his head slowly nodding. I nodded and carefully slipped out of the room again, walking a small ways down the hall to the private restroom, knocking on the yellow wood. When there wasn't an answer, I stepped in and shut the door, locking it behind me. My back slammed against the thick wood before I let myself slide down to the floor, my legs spread out across the cool tile floor. I stared at my lap for a while, but eventually just broke down into tears and sobs. I was a mess. I calmed myself down rather quickly though and returned to the room after twenty minutes, having splashed my face with water so Harry wouldn’t be able to tell I was crying. I didn't want him to know how upset I was, although I didn't really know why.

After the week and a half passed, we were on a plane to Green Bay. Harry was transferred to St. Vincent Hospital in Green Bay. The doctors checked Harry in immediately, even setting up a physical therapist for as soon as he got out of the hospital. Harry was appointed to go Monday's, Wednesday's, and Friday's of ever week for his physical therapy sessions. They asked him if that was fine, but he still hadn't spoke a word, so I answered for him that it was fine. Harry was to be out in two months time, so he would be going to the physical therapy the week after he left.