Chapter nine

"Was that him?," Peyton asked once I stopped sniffling.

"Yeah."

A defeated look came up on his face. He laughed quietly. "To think- there's another one out there waiting for you too," he said looking at me. He made his way closer. "Our days are numbered aren't they?"

I nodded my head. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think of going to my other mate when I find him. I don't want to leave Peyton but his mate is still out there and I don't want to be selfish.

"What should we do?," he says coming closer to me.

"I don't know."

Everyone in the house was still asleep. It was now Saturday and everyone planned on sleeping in.

"Aniko - I want," he stops unable to continue. His ears turn a shade of pink and a red tint graces his cheeks. "I want you to know no matter what - I'll always love you," he says pulling my face closer for another kiss.

"Thinking about all that makes me sad, so let's stop thinking about it for now-," I say before he pecks my lips again.

"Okay, whatever you want."

He jolted up and sat in bed. I groaned and propped myself up. "What's wrong?," I asked. Peyton and I went back and got in bed to get some sleep. Everyone else was still asleep but from the loud footsteps coming from outside they're all awake now.

"I smell it," he said with a shaky breath.

My heart started to thud. "It? What! Do- do you mean you smell honey and the ocean or some shit," I asked. He nodded and sadly looked at me.

That means his mate is near.

"If you don't want me to leave this room I won't- I can stay here," he says grabbing my hands.

The tears are flowing from my eyes. It's been so long since I've cried due to actual sadness. I recalled our conversation from hours ago and it made my chest feel like it was going to rip apart.

"No! Absolutely not Peyton! Go down there and meet her whoever she is I know she's perfect for you!," I climb closer to him and give him one last tight hug and he then kisses me softly. Every fiber in my body is telling me to be selfish and hold onto him and never let go ... but I can't do that to his mate nor him. I can't.

He moves away slowly and unsure. He makes it to the door and his fingers lightly touch the doorknob. He opens it hesitantly and then leaves. My lip starts to quiver and the sobs race up my chest. I grab a pillow and use it to muffle my sobs.

If he heard me crying like this I know he'd race back up here and promise to never leave me and give up on his mate. I stand up from the bed and walk to the small bathroom in the room. I opened the door and locked myself in it.

I calmed myself down and splashed water on my face. My eyes get puffy easily and they were very puffy and red.

I put on a brave face and push down the sadness I was feeling. I lost my first and only love on only the 2nd day being here. What type of bad luck am I cursed with? I convince myself that I'm happy for him, I truly am. He's finally with his mate.

I leave the bathroom door and slip out of my pajamas and into a pair of sweats and a t-shirt. I take a deep breath and leave the room. I walk down the hall and down the stairs. I hear the chatter and I can even smell her. The scent is a tad bit too familiar for my liking.

"My god! I haven't seen you in such a long time." My old friend jumps on me and engulfs me in a hug. It's been so long but my arms wrap around her loosely.

Ansley is the mate of Peyton ?

She catches my scent that's tainted by Peyton's and sends me a look as we pull apart. A look so deadly. I returned the glare which left her with her with a shameful look.

"I- um," she stutters then turns to look at Peyton who's eyes stayed on the ground. "Were you two?-," she asks with an look of anger.

Suddenly a new emotion took control of me. It's like I'm flying through the stages of grief. "Maybe you're right Jonathan, maybe I should be direct about this whole thing. I've changed my mind I want my mom back right now so I can leave this shit hole," I say walking past Hudson and my brothers.

"Aniko wait!," Peyton says calling out for me. I ignore it and leave the house.

I take a deep breath and head to the place I once called home.

The walk there was a blur and it felt like I had teleported. I got to the front door and started banging on the door. "Hey! Open up! Is Jessica in there I need to talk to her now!," I said still slamming my hand on the door.

"Aniko! What are you doing?," my dad said opening the door. I walked past him and walked around in search of Jessica.

I couldn't smell her and that alone pissed me off. The one time I actually want to see her she's not here.

"Where's Jessica?," I ask murderously.

"Woah- Aniko the tone of your voice is scaring me. Please why don't you calm down ok?," Abigail says trying to reason.

"No! I need to stop this right now," I continue.

"Jessica's not here. Hasn't been seen since before you got here. They've been trying to keep things quiet but she's probably gone missing too," a new voice says stepping out of the darkness. A voice that unintentionally brings butterflies to my stomach.

Why does Nolan always have to be here?