Chapter ten - end of part 2

"Why are you always here?," I ask bitterly. "Don't you have a pack to lead or something my god?!"

"I do, but I came to see you."

I scoff at this excuse of a man. "Don't use me as an excuse to see Jessica, okay?"

The look on his face. He looked like he'd been slapped across the face. "I didn't know she went missing until like 20 minutes ago. I actually came to ask you something. I don't wanna talk about Jessica," he said coming closer with an unreadable expression.

"What?," I asked lightly.

"Will you ever be able to forgive me?," he asks vulnerably.

Nolan's
POV

"I'm sorry I have to take this call," I say stepping back from the table. My mate and her family looked at me before I excused myself and got up.

Aniko said she doesn't think she'll be able to forgive me. I get it. I'm a pretty terrible person and an even worse of a mate so it makes sense that she has no interest in me. I think it might be best to just stop. Would it? Let her be happy with whoever that dude was.

"Hello? Noah," I ask my beta.

"Well I um- have some rather unfortunate news about that guy you told me to look into," he started. "I think he has Jessica now."

I refrain from scoffing or making some remark that would be rather crude at a time like this.

"We have to move fast or else we won't be able to get Aniko's mom back or Jessica," he says.

This whole thing doesn't sound right. Why would he need Jessica? She doesn't really have anything to do with Aniko's mom. She hasn't really done anything to help find her either.

Oh

"Wait - remember when you were over here for that stupid dinner her parents hosted. You said you smelled something on her like she tried to mask the scent of it by herself - but that guy whoever he is, i think he's her mate; he has to be ... don't ask me how I know I just do," I rushed out.

"I'll look into it Alpha," he says teasingly.

I closed my eyes and let out a deep breath. I hate when he does that. He's my best friend we grew up together.

"Oh and Nolan. Do you think she'll forgive you when you find her mom?," Noah asks.

I laugh dryly. "I don't know. It doesn't matter. I'm not trying to find her mom to make her forgive me. No one should have their mom taken away from them."

I hang up after we exchange our last words and head back to the room with the others.

"I figure now would be a good time to tell you about everything I've found out and dug up," I say taking a seat.

"This whole thing is way bigger than us. I know it's been hard to do anything here because of Jessica-,"

"What? Jessica's been in charge of leading search parties. We're getting closer to finding Julia," Aniko's father stated cutting me off.

"No- I don't think you and your Luna are being informed correctly. The investigation that Jessica is in charge of - never happened. She's been keeping people from searching," I say straightforward.

"Wha-,"

"I'm afraid that's not all. I think she knows who her actual mate is. He has some weird relationship with your mom and Jessica's probably just been following his orders," I say directed towards Aniko.

"How would you not know if Jessica's met her 'actual mate'? I thought you two lived together - aren't you with her like 24/7," she asks confused.

I shake my head rather quickly. "No- I only communicate with Jessica when necessary mostly for joint training," I say trying to defend myself although it doesn't entirely matter.

"This isn't right. My mom is safe. My uncle told me himself that everything's under control-," Aniko says before she slightly spaced out. "Dad have you heard about Jericho - mom's brother?"

The look on her face is hard to read but I could see some sort of discomfort.

"Jericho, I think he's her older brother. Those two have never been on good terms," Alpha says.

Aniko visibly starts shaking. "This isn't good. God I'm an idiot ... I talked to Jericho and he said she was safe. If this is all true then my moms not okay and we need to get her back fast," she says.

"Agreed. I'll call Noah back and update him and we'll get your mom back I promise ," I reassure. She nods at me and leans back in her chair. Her eyes caught her father's and I could she the rage she had for that man.

"Oh ... Dad, did you know that your mate is actually a vampire? ... Did you know that I'm a hybrid? ... Did you know that whatever powers I get from mom will awaken on my birthday? ... Did you know that I also have another mate out there?," she says the last question directed at me.

My wolf didn't like that.

His voice was in the back of my head yelling at me, saying how much of an idiot I am or how I fucked everything up. He's not wrong. I haven't done anything for her and I don't deserve to call her my mate. She deserves a better mate, someone better than me.

Luna Abigail obviously didn't know about any of this. She looked at Aniko and was visibly shocked. The alpha had a different look.

The two had a conversation through mind-link and by the expression on Aniko's face I'm guessing her father knew.

I feel like I should be shocked but I'm not that surprised. I guess I could always feel that strong aura from her. Now it makes a lot more sense. She's a hybrid, she's way stronger than the average wolf. Hybrids are extremely rare, I bet she's probably one of the few of her kind.

I couldn't help but stare at her in awe. God - I made her think I didn't want her, l want her badly. I want to be with her more than anything. I'd lay my life just to have her smile at me and mean it.

"Don't look at me like that," she muttered making me shift my gaze.

"There's intruders on the pack land. The warriors couldn't find Jessica their mind linking me!," Aniko says hastily with a very sudden shift in her tone. She jumps up from her chair and tries to get to the door.

"Wait where are they?," I ask.

"They don't have a visual on them but the scent is strong and it's not wolves," she says swinging the door open.

The scent hit me ... hard.

Four men with chalky skin stood at the door.

I could hear Aniko's heart thud loudly.