Return

Frightened, I realized it would be best to enter the building a different way. I slowly walked away, then started sprinting for the East entrance. As sprinted, not caring about my surroundings, I collided with someone. We both fell into the floor, I closed my eyes shut as if expecting that to stop the pain or something. I heard a small "ow" from the person I accidentally rammed into, recognizing the voice, I instantly lifted my head. It was Nagito, he finally had been back from his suspension.

I tackled him back to the floor with a big hug. I've forgotten how long it's been since he was here. "Hey y/n, guess it's been awhile huh". I was absolutely beaming. The physical contact of having someone in my arms, specially one of the closest person to me was enough to make me feel better about everything that has happened so far to me. Nagito stayed silent, his face flushed with red. I got up, and realized my face felt very warm, we've both been blushing a lot now. I got off of him and helped Nagito back on his feet.

"So, what happened while I gone?" I kind of froze to that question, Junko had said that things have been going downhill, to which I missed. I don't have a clue what went on in the weeks I was kidnapped, but telling Nagito what happened to me wasn't a choice. I spoke up and answered with a half lie. "Things have been pretty alright but pretty weird". To my relief, Nagito didn't question more about what I meant by weird but alright. We walked hand in hand, not actually realizing we were. Until we got to East entrance when we tried opening the door.

Nagito started apologizing, while shades of red slowly crept to his face. I apologized as well, we quickly moved on. Nagito held the door open for me, I walked into the building. Nagito followed right after, and walked beside me. "Hey y/n, I hope you mind me saying this.. but, can we maybe.. hold hands again? It's okay if you don't want to though- I know I shouldn't even be asking-" I took Nagito's hand into mine and held onto it so tightly yet gently. We walked pretty slowly indulging ourselves in just focusing on each other. Our idle chitchat lasted for what felt like seconds, when it really only was 7 minutes.

Once we reached the classroom, we broke hands knowing how the class would react if we kept our hands together. "Speak of the devil hey- Y/N??!!" Hiyoko yelled. The whole class had not expected me, I have been gone for a while, so I guess it made sense. Everyone ran up to me, asking all sorts of questions at the same time. The only person to actually acknowledge Nagito's existence in the room was Chiaki, who greeted him and I.

After some time, the class had calmed down. "So, have any of you seen where Mikan is? She's been gone for a while", asked Chiaki. I was about to say no, but Nagito replied before I could. "Yeah, I think we saw her near the east entrance". I looked up at Nagito for a short second, wondering why did he lie to the class.

Ms. Yukizome had walked into the room, and before she spoke, she looked at Nagito and I in shock, then in glee, and finally run up to us. Ms. Yukizome had embraced in a tight hug, "It's nice having you both back with us again." I smiled, and so did Nagito. However, the rest of the class didn't have the patience to let us have this moment. "Ms. Yukizome! Mikan has gone missing, we have to find her!" Mahiru said. Ms.Yukizome turned around and gently placed her hands on Mahiru's shoulders. "I know, and I'm going to go look for her. It's dangerous out there right now, so please don't leave the classroom." She turned to face the whole class, "this applies to all of you as well. I know how worried you are, but whatever happens, stay in this room until it isn't even safe to stay in the room."

"But what'll we do if it doesn't get safe for us to stay here?" Akane asked. "I don't know, just make sure you all work together to find a safe place if it happens. I'll be on my way now, bye everyone, I'll be back with Mikan before you know it!" Ms. Yukizome had left the room to find Mikan as we waited.

We talked, but eventually, Sonia had asked why  I had disappeared. Everyone had agreed and wanted to know as well. I knew that I couldn't tell them but I knew there wasn't  a lie I could make that would be good enough to convince everyone. I decided that it would be best to give  a half lie. "I'm sorry, I can't really tell you that, and to be honest I can't even explain it". I got a few suspicious glances from my classmates, but they easily brushed it off and continued with the idle talk we had.

  Ten minutes had passed, and Ms. Yukizome hadn't been back yet. "Hey Nagito, you said you saw Mikan near the east entrance, why didn't you bother to tell Ms. Yukizome that?" Mahiru questioned. "Oh I must've forgotten, I'm sorry, I guess y/n and I should go since we both saw her". Confused, I got up and walked out with Nagito. Once we were a few feet away from the classroom, I questioned Nagito, "why'd you lie?" He looked at me for a split second, then forward again. "Oh, you'll find out soon". We walked in silence, until we reached the statue of the founder of Hopes Peak Academy.