Journey [fluff]

A collaborative work of mine with Ez. Originally written in Indonesian.

--

Their next destination is the beach. Or The Bay, as they'd like to call it. There's a night festival at night every weekend, and while Hitomi isn't fond of a crowded area, she has heard of the night festival's culinary and it's a given that Minjoo easily joins in just by the mention of 'food'.

But aside from that, it's as if Minjoo would refuse. In truth, they always travel together all around South Korea. Just the two of them, Minjoo being the driver and Hitomi being the navigator—with sometimes Yuri and Nako tagging along if their schedule permitted. After all, only with Minjoo Hitomi feels the safest. Despite her usually clumsy streaks that come often during their walks together, Minjoo is a good driver—and also a careful one, to add.

Today is just like any other day of the two of them traveling alone. Minjoo as the driver, Hitomi as the navigator—as per usual. So far, Hitomi has done a pretty good job keeping Minjoo awake and entertained throughout the long journey, and Minjoo has done pretty well done herself trying to keep her drowsiness away just by the thought of food and a very happy Hitomi.

It's halfway through the journey when Hitomi suddenly falls silent as if running out of a topic to talk about.

But no matter, because Minjoo wants to say something.

"Hii, I actually don't like driving that much."

As someone who has accompanied the older girl countless times everywhere as her navigator, it comes up as a surprise for her. Hitomi can't hide her surprise; she frowns at Minjoo, tilting her head to the side as she directs her curious look at her. "Really? Why?"

Minjoo frowns as if trying to come up with a reason as to why she doesn't particularly like driving. She gives up after a short minute; preferring to focus on the road that slowly starts to darken with how the sun has beginning to set on the West.

"No particular reason," she says with a small sigh and a nonchalant shrug. "Maybe it's just reinforced by the thought of how I just don't feel like it's my style? I don't know—I think motorcycle is more my style."

The girl beside her laughs, amused. "Weirdo. Why did you even learn to drive a car then, and get a driving license for a car?"

This time, it's Minjoo's turn to laugh. Her eyes seem to glint with a light so familiar to Hitomi that she can't help but smile. "It's for you. You always like to talk about how you want to travel all around South Korea."

"So I did," Hitomi agrees, but doesn't seem to understand Minjoo is hinting. At least, it takes a full 5 seconds for her to realize it. "Wait, do you mean—"

"I want to take you myself," Minjoo grins at her, nodding. "To wherever your heart's content. I think it'll save a lot of our money too, don't you think so?"

"Now that you put it like that..." Hitomi shakes her head, her expression thoughtful. "Is that why you talked out Nako and Yuri from learning how to drive?"

"Nako can't reach the pedal and Yuri is too emotional when playing cart rider. I'm actually saving your life, here!"

"Just say that you want to be the only one driving me around."

"That," Minjoo grins, "is accurate."

"Figured." Hitomi snorts as she shakes her head in disbelief. A burst of smug laughter can be heard coming from her right, but Hitomi doesn't even feel annoyed. Rather, it causes her lips to curve upwards to form a small smile of amusement.

They fall into a comfortable silence following the conversation, with Minjoo has her gaze fixated on the road and Hitomi lost in her own thoughts. It's not good to have a deafening silence to proceed for too long, especially when it's getting dark and Minjoo is a little bit more tired than usual. But it's not like Hitomi knows what to talk about either—she's just as tired as the girl driving beside her.