A Promise

Recap : "You call me your best friend but also thank me. Hmmm. You are one weird fellow but jokes apart, Panchali is a strong woman and her love you knows no bounds. She accepts you with all your faults and loves you unconditionally. You and her are one. Always give her all the happiness. She is worthy of all your love and I'm not saying this as your friend but as her Sakha!", said Madhav with a knowing glint in his eyes. His face played a small reassuring smile. How generous his heart is! I'm married to his sister too but here he is advocating for his Sakhi. What a wonderful bond my love and my best friend share! I just smiled contently and hugged him. Both of us then left towards the dining hall.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panchali's POV:

I stormed out of the chamber because I knew if I stayed for even one more minute both of us would have lost the sense of time and indulge deeper into the world of pleasure. The thought itself made blood rush into my cheeks making them feel warm. His effect on me was unusual. Surely, a mother of four cannot feel like she is in the prime years of her teenage.

"You are glowing like a bride, Drau! What magic is Savyasachin doing on you?", said Satya, surprising me with her sudden appearance. "Don't look so surprised to see me. Nowadays you only notice Arjun, I guess", she teased further and both of us erupted in giggles.

"Oh, Satya, what do I say? I don't know how my anger melts away when I'm in his proximity. His charming eyes just make my heart beat faster. I am so in love with him. Even years of separation couldn't dampen the intensity of my feelings. Am I wrong to feel so intensely for this man?", I questioned her.

"No, Drau! I have seen the way he behaves around you. You two are equally in love with each other. Due to unforeseen circumstances you had to bear separation from him but true love can never be hidden. The more you try to hide it, the more it shows. I hope we get to see the sign of your love soon", Satya said while nudging me with her elbow.

I just widened my eyes when I realised the meaning of her words. I had never thought about our child until now. How would he or she be? I just cleared my head and signalled Satya to accompany me to the Dining hall.

The Dining hall of Khandavaprasth was grandly decorated. Golden plates and cutlery were arranged in order. All the Pandavs, Yadavs and our children were seated to begin the prayer before dinner. Arjun was sitting in between Prativindhya and Sutasoma. After the prayers were done, everyone started having food.

"Pitashree, feed us with your hands today! We have missed your presence dearly. We want to be pampered by you!", said Prati making a cute face.

"No, Prati, hasn't mata taught you to eat with your own hands. Don't trouble your Pitashree, let him have dinner.", I said as I knew how fussy my children could get while eating.

"Panchali, why are you keeping my kids away from me? You want to be the only one to pamper them, right?", Arjun said mocking me.

"Hahahah, yes Bhrata Arjun, she never leaves her children. She must have just come after making Shrutasena sleep and now you'll see Shatanika running towards his mata!", as soon as Arya Sahadev said so, Shatanika who is just a few years old came running to me. I picked him up and cuddled my baby.

"Mata Kunti, ask your third son to not be so confident. Let's see how he handles them now!", I said feigning attitude. Soon, Arjun was feeding both Prati and Soma. Shatanika also ran away from my lap and settled on Arjun's when he saw his brothers enjoying his father's affection. The sight in front of me brought tears to my eyes. I knew Arjun as The Archer, The Son, The Husband, The Lover.. but this was a rare sight. Arjun as The Father. How lucky Ulupi and Chitrangada have been to see this side of his first. Arjun caught my eye and his expression changed. He knew the things going on in my mind but I didn't want to ruin his happiness. So, I went and served more food in their plates to overwhelm them.

"Prati, Soma and Shatanika, all three of you must finish this or else Mata won't talk to you!", I said and proceeded to serve some extra laddoos in Arya Bheem's plate. His face just lit up and he thanked me by pulling my cheeks! "Thankyou Panchali, you always take care of my cravings!", said Arya Bheem.

"Sakhi, have you forgotten that I'm here as your guest? Or will you only tend to your husbands needs?", mocked Govind.

"Here, Govind, I have especially made this Rice Kheer for you! Subhadra told me about how you used to lick the entire bowl off whenever this kheer was made in Dwarka's Kitchen!", I said.

Govind tasted the Kheer and his eyes lit up like a small child! "This is delicious, Sakhi! No wonder all your husbands are in your control.. as it's rightly said that A way to the man's heart is from his stomach!", said Govind while trying his best to annoy me and still managing to gobble down the kheer.

"Govind!! Atleast don't make fun of me in front of my children!", I said. Everyone just laughed at Govind's antics but Arjun's face was a different story. I could sense that he was thinking about something while trying his best to be in the moment.

Soon the dinner was done and everyone dispersed in groups to unwind.

"Come with me Drau!", said Satya while pulling me towards the inner chambers of our palace. We kept walking and finally reached the garden which was attached to the Guest Chamber. It was a beautiful place where the four of us used to spend time. It had beautifully decorated swings and seating arrangements. I found Govind and Arjun already present having a deep discussion. We sat there talking about life under the starry sky. The time I spent with them was healing my wounds. I felt better to be in company of my closest friends. Govind had hurt me but he was taking every step to win our friendly bond again.

"Sakhi, here's a small gift I got for you from Dwarka. Consider it as a token of love from us to you," said Govind. Satya presented me with a dainty platinum ring. It had precious stones embedded in it. I was at a loss of words. I just kept staring at it and was unable to express my gratitude.

"Don't worry Arjun, here, we have something for you as well", said Satya. She took out another platinum ring which was a little bigger but had the same precious stones embedded in it. I look puzzled. What were they up to? Sakha caught my hand and with his other hand caught Arjun. He dragged us under the moon light and asked us to exchange our rings.

"Parth, Panchali.. you two have seen a long period of separation. Unknowingly, I hurt my Sakhi but here's my attempt to commemorate your timeless love. Please put these rings in each other's fingers and make a vow to strengthen your love," spoke Sakha. Tears just kept escaping my eyes at his thoughtfulness. Govind had already apologized to me but his gestures made my heart warm. I felt loved at my dear friend's gesture. Arjun wiped my tears with his fingers and proceeded to put the dainty ring in my finger. I too did the same for him. Satya just clapped merrily while wiping a tear from her eyes.

"You two are the cutest, come here!", saying so Satya pulled us in a hug.

"Madhav, I am at a loss of words. You have always believed in our love but this just touched my heart. Thankyou!", said Arjun with immense gratitude.

"There is reason why only you could hit the fish's eye in Panchali's Swayamvar, Parth! You two will be celebrated as eternal lovers for generations to come. Though forbidden and full of trails, you'll always find your way back to each other," said Govind and blessed us.

I looked at my Arjun and just smiled. His deep orbs reflected warmth and affection. It was as if his eyes were telling me that he would always keep this promise of coming back to me no matter wherever he wandered. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N : Friendly banter and some friendly time for our lovebirds. DID you like the chapter? Yes, No, Maybe? :) I updated sooner than usual! Please shower some love...!