Level-2

Nine

"Practising your pick up lines I see." I commented after masking my shock with a straight face. He didn't agree but neither did retort just sat there smiling.

How could a person be so handsome and so cute at the same time? Joong was the human version of a puppy, a cute one, always wagging his tail happily and clinging onto everyone. But his looks, oh God don't get me to that. His looks could kill people. He was this baby stuck in the body of a giant. Always basking attention and care.

And who would deny him when he used those big puppy eyes? He just knew how to use his charms. 

"So what's the plan?" I shifted to our regular topic although as always it dampen my mood.

"Phi I'm thinking how about I meet her tomorrow? What do you say?" He asked looking at me with hope. The hope which kept me alive and also broke me apart bit by bit. Hope is a dangerous thing.

"Yes that's a good idea. Man up." I said giving him a thumbs up and pulling my fake smile a bit bigger.

"But Phi I'm so affraid." He said next jutting his lower lip out into a cute pout. See a puppy.

"Joong if you don't make a move now you will never be able to and then will regret for the whole life." How strangely similar our situation was. I thought. "And I thought you are such a confident young man. Where did the confidence fly away now?" I asked slightly teasing him.

"But what if she rejects me or ignores me?" He pouted more. Such a baby.

"Oyy you are not proposing her tomorrow. You are just going to talk with her as a friend first. Know more about her.....Wait a second don't tell me it's your first relation?" I asked shocked at my own assumption and when he finally nodded shyly my jaw almost dropped on the table.

"Phi~" He whined when I still didn't recover from my reaction even after a few seconds.

"Oh uh Nong. I'm so sorry. I thought you were experienced." I replied easing the sudden awkward atmosphere. 

"Everyone is not as lucky as you. That is why you are my cupid." He muttered.

Yes obviously not everyone was as lucky as me to have their heart smiling and crying for the same person. To have their heart broken and repaired to be broken again by the same person. I indeed was lucky. 

"Ohh Phi I forgot to tell you something." He suddenly said.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Phi today was my last exam so I would come early tomorrow." He informed with a big smile.

The warmth and energy radiating from his smile seeping through my skin to force me smile back. Joong was the power house of energy and warmth. He was like the Sun natural yet sometimes blinding. He was so bright that one couldn't hide him from others and everyone seeked his brightness. I was no one other than those people seeking for his warmth.

"Ai Nine continue your dream in bed." Ben's teasing voice snapped me back to reality.

"Shut up Ai'Ben." I muttered packing my stuffs to leave the cafe. We both waiid to the cafe owner P'Sun before walking out. 

My shoulder and back was hurting like hell due to the long hours of standing. Usually in the evening slot the three of us- Ben, Dome and I would manage the rush. But due to Dome's absence we had a hard time handling the cafe until P'Sun himself came for our help.

"Nine." Ben called me as we continued to walk towards our respective condos. Mine was just beside Ben's while Dome's was on the other side. I hummed not feeling like talking as the exhaustion was consuming me.

"I heard that Joong is finally going to talk with that girl." Ben spoke. No not this topic. Atleast not now. I thought but hummed again.

"So you are letting him go?" His question suddenly made me wide awake, washing the earlier exhaustion away.

"Wh-what are you even saying? When did I even hold him?" I tried to joke, laughing a fake one.

"Yes continue  with your fake story and those-" pointing to my wide smile "those fake smiles. Bullshit. You advice him to man up and here you are the coward." He said angrily walking away.

Was my fake smiles noticeable? Was I so obvious? But then couldn't he notice?

Yes hopes. I hoped that someday my Nong would notice me as someone more than just his 'favourite phi'. I hoped that someday he would understand my feelings towards him and would love me back. Yes I hoped that someday he would be able to distinguish my fake smiles with the real ones. I hoped that he would take care of me not like a brother but as a lover.

And everytime he chased after that girl my hopes got crushed. Everytime he came to me to ask about Clara my heart broke. I was just a ladder for him to reach his star and yet I hoped to be more. 

After all I was just a cupid in their love story.