Level-7

Joong

The thought of what to gift my favourite Phi kept me awake till midnight and hence when I woke up to the bright sunlight almost blinding me I wasn't shocked to see it was already late in the morning.

The first thing I did was to find my phone to wish my P'Nine. But on further contemplating I threw the idea out of the window. It would be better to wish him in person.

Yes that's what I decided jumping up in joy. And then dashed to take a quick shower changing into a comfortable tee-shirt.

It was very rare that he saw me in my casual clothes because most of the time I went there after or before university. So it was very likely for me to be wearing the uniform.

I was humming a random song while brushing my hair, not forgetting to check the phone, to see whether Clara has replied to my late 'good morning' text.

It has been usual for us in the past days to greet each other, hangout with each other. But she usually replied immediately. I shrugged.

Probably she was busy or maybe she was sleeping till late because it was a weekend anyway.

I wanted to ask her for a hangout today but after knowing that it was my P'Nine's birthday, I canceled the plan instantly.

How could I miss my Phi's birthday? I was really excited grinning at my reflection like a fool. How would he react when I would wish him? It felt like I was more excited about his birthday than him.

I couldn't say that he wasn't excited at all judging from his wide smiles that he gave me last night when I promised to visit him and greet him.

But the gift? I was still indecisive about the gifts part.

What did P'Nine like? That made me think deeper. I knew he wasn't the show-off type neither did he like expensive things. Then what else? It was really a headache to find a perfect gift for him.

Okay I'll see that later I thought finally ready or you can say more than ready to visit my P'Nine.

Just as I was locking the door suddenly my phone started ringing and the name that flashed on the screen made my heart do back flips. Clara the name said. There was this loud thumping of my heart as I received the call with shaky hands.

"Hello Joong." Although I expected a sweet gentle voice just like her, the voice that reached my ear sounded more like a tense one.

"Yes Clara." I was utterly confused for her panicked voice and I could hear heavy breathing from the other line. What happened to her? Is she fine? That was the only thought that came in my mind.

"Joong where are you?" She asked in the same tone making me more worried.

"I'm in my dorm. Why? What happened? Are you okay?" I asked now panicking too.

"Yes I'm fine. Joong can you please come to my house? I'm sending you the address. My mom suddenly fainted and I don't know what to do, whom to ask for help. Can you please come?" Even before she could complete I was already out.

"I'm coming. Send the address." I said in a hurry.

"Thank you so much Joong. Thank you." I cut the call immediately without any reply and took the address out.

"Joong I'm so tensed. What happened to my mom?" Clara asked the same question holding my hand tightly.
We were sitting outside in the waiting room while her mother was inside supervised by the doctors.

Both Clara and I had brought her mother to the hospital from their house and it had already been late afternoon, yet her mother didn't gain consciousness.

"Don't worry the doctors are here. Nothing will happen." I tried to soothe her but her sobs weren't getting any better. I felt helpless sitting there not being able to do anything to help her.

"Thank you again Joong if you weren't there I don't know what would have happened." She hugged me tightly, mumbling the last part in my chest, making my breath to hitch.

I held her shaking body in my arms. It felt like a dream to be able to hold her. It should have been perfect but the sudden waiting face of my Phi came in my mind making me feel guilty.

He must be waiting for me but I couldn't leave Clara alone either, in her vulnerable state.

I left my phone in a hurry, in Clara's house making it impossible for me to even inform him. I was helpless.

Atlast I closed my eyes and hugged her more tightly to comfort both her and my sudden aching heart.

I'm sorry Phi. I broke my promise.