Broken Heart

Fortunately, thanks to the advancements in his health, he was able to get up from bed and check on her on the room beside him. When he did, he couldn't help crying. He just saw her laying on a bed, crying. She looked up with a face of despair, her skin pale and her eyes dry. He approached for a kiss, which was interrupted with the arrival of a doctor.

"Sorry for the intrusion. I have some news for both of you," he said.

"What is it, doctor?" She said with a weak voice.

"This might sound dramatic at first, but you have been diagnosed with something we don't see very often around here."

"What do you mean?" He said worried.

"You see, the human body is more empathic than we think it is. Whenever someone goes through deep sentimental situations, whether they are sad or really exciting, our heart could reach a point where it starts to malfunction. Certain things in this muscle could break, which is the case we have with you, dear."

"Wh-what!?"

"I'm not lying to you. In easier terms for both of you to understand, you have a broken heart."

All expressions in her face were gone. She looked at her chest, knowing what was happening inside her. She broke into tears again, sobbing like she had never done before. However, the doctor had no mercy. He said things the way they should be said: direct.

"At this rate, it could be diagnosed as a terminal disease as well. If we identified the problem sooner there could have been a chance, but I guess we let it go to waste. The only alternative we could take is if we were to find a donator for a transplant in the next few weeks."

"Are you sure there is no other way?" He asked desperately.

"I'd love to say that there is, but I would be lying."

He looked at her once again. Even when she was more pale than ever, she looked innocent and beautiful. He reached for another kiss, and then returned to the doctor.

"Do you think we could talk for a moment?"

"Sure thing. I'll see you on your room."

He walked back trying not to look back. He was really sad, but he didn't want to break apart now. He had a plan, and breaking such thing wouldn't be really great.

"Doctor," he said after taking a deep breath. "You told me that I'm done for. I'm destined to die, right?"

"Unfortunately, yes. That is the case."

"You said something about my heart being in a good state. Do you think..."

He didn't have the courage to say it, but the doctor understood it perfectly.

"I just don't want her to go... It's my fault that she is here in this horrible situation. It's the least I can do for her considering, you know, everything."

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

"More than I've ever been sure of something in my entire life. I don't plan on letting her down. I promised I would help her in everything I could. I've said millions of times that I would save her life if I were given the chance. This is the time I show it for real."

"But... What about yourself? Don't you want to live?"

He got angry and took the doctor by the top of his shirt. He started screaming at him.

"I'M GOING TO DIE ANYWAY, DOCTOR! LET ME DO SOMETHING GOOD FOR ONCE!"

The doctor looked at him in a way he had never done before. He stared at his eyes, respectfully.

"Ah... Sorry for that, doctor..."

He expected some sort of punishment in return, but instead he felt that something was hugging him. He could hear the doctor sobbing, and he didn't know how to feel. The doctor stepped away and grabbed his shoulders.

"Oliver... You brave little guy..." He wiped his tears away and pulled himself together. "We'll start your studies tomorrow. You do have the same blood type from the researching I've done before, so you are in the right track."

Oliver turned to the mirror and looked at himself in the reflection. He took a deep breath, got closer to the mirror, and spoke to himself.

"Everything will be ok, you warrior. Just remember. Even in heaven or hell, you'll always be fucking amazing..."

He closed his eyes, looked at the doctor, and nodded.

"Fine. We'll start tomorrow."

"For now, just get some rest. I'll make sure that she's ok, champ."

He waited for the doctor to go away. And when he did, he took the time to take a look at his beloved. He peeked through the door and saw that she had fallen asleep.

"You'll be ok, love... I'll make sure you can move on."

He went back to his bed and slept for the rest of the night.