Chapter 1

Every new beginning comes from another beginning's end.

~Seneca (Lucius Annaeus Seneca)

***

With her headphones in place, Savannah was lounging at the Seattle Airport. The past three days had been much too hectic, but she wouldn't have it any other way. She had chosen to be a freelance chef; it came with her profession. The music playing soothed her as she went through her appointments and other events. She didn't have many things lined up, which was as rare as hens' teeth.

The only thing marked important was the meeting she had coming Friday with the Siftons. She had done minor research about them, which was nothing more than the aspect of hospitality that interested her: food and dining. Her study said that Sifton Hotels had one of the best dining experiences as claimed by patrons. Which was...good, she decided.

Just then, she saw some things get altered in her calendar, and that meant only one thing: her assistant was online. That's it; now Abbey—short for Abigail Fury—would call.

Cue the call in 3...2...1... Her phone rang. Like I said, she thought.

"Hello, Sav."

"Tell me."

"Oh, no. It's nothing much. I saw you were going through your schedule, so I thought I'd list them out myself."

"Well. Okay."

"Hm. Coming up this Friday is your interview with the Siftons. Yesterday itself I spoke to Mr. Gerald Sifton over the phone. He is really looking forward to doing business with you."

"Did you tell him about my work ethics?"

"Yeah. I told him you aren't looking for any permanent stuff...and that, though you don't linger at a place, you do repeat the establishments if required."

"What'd he say to that?"

"He was cool with it. He knew you were the best, and that they chose you because you freelance and don't want to be tied down—makes it easier for them, too. He was telling me about his experiences with chefs who expected a more-than-once thing, how hard it was to convince them that it was a one-time thing."

"Hm. Okay. Friday at what time?"

"That's exactly why I wanted to talk to you, actually. He said he was free from 10AM to 1PM. After that he has things to attend to after that. What time should I schedule it for?"

"Ten-thirty should be okay. What will I need?"

"About that, he said, nothing. He has full confidence in you, and from what he's heard of you he is sure that you'll not let him down. Basically he just wants you."

Oh, how good it would have felt to throw this in his face. Her success. People wanted her now, without her having to seek it out.

But. Why was she even thinking about him? Where had he come from suddenly, out of nowhere? She was not supposed to think about him, not even negligibly. It was a big no-no!

"Okay, I just emailed Mr. Sifton. He's really looking forward to it."

"Oh, I am too."

"By the way. You remember your awareness workshop at Georgetown Uni tomorrow, right?"

"Of course. I wouldn't forget that. Oh, by the way, make a list of all the seminars—with dates—I have in duration Mr. Sifton requires me for."

"Okay, boss. I'll print it for you."