Chapter 15

Sometimes you have to be selfish to be selfless.

~Edward Albert

***

Days went by. Everything seemed well and good. Savannah had warmed up more and more to their friendly arrangement with each passing day. She was getting used to it. But, come what may, Zac couldn't. He still wanted more from her. But then again, he didn't want to—more like, couldn't afford to—lose what they had right now. If him asking her for more meant putting what they had in jeopardy, which it would, it was a massive no. That put him in a fix. Should he—could he—take the leap and ask her? What would she say? Would she take the leap too? Would she trust him enough to do that? Maybe if he earned her trust enough, she might just—

"What's it that's gotten you brooding so?"

"Nothing that concerns you," Zac told his brother. "You tell me, why are you always grumbling these days?"

"Oh, nothing. I seem to keep on running into Klutz. It's like wherever I go," Rhett waved his hands in exasperation, "she has to be there. In all her clumsiness."

"Klutz is?"

"Chef Reece's assistant. Ms. Fury."

"Abbey. Yeah. I understand. She's a tad bit uncoordinated."

"What! Tad bit? Oh no, no. She's way more than a tad bit uncoordinated. She's super-clumsy and she puts forth completely rubbish arguments when you point it out. And she does it every fucking time. That pea-brained woman."

Zac laughed hysterically. "Pea-brained woman?" he managed to say before he burst out again.

"Of course. She is a pea-brained woman. Have you met her? Dopehead." He shook his head, but a soft smile graced his lips as he said it. Yes, she was nothing like he'd ever seen before. She was different...in a unique kind of way. Sure, she acted like a total idiot every time they crossed paths, but now, in retrospect, it was kinda cute in its own way.

Though he didn't realize he was smiling, Zac did. And there was no way he was going to let this go. It was against every bro-code that existed in the world. Spiting your brother—even sibling, for that matter—topped the list.

"Are you sure she's a pea-brained, dope-headed lady?"

"Undeniably. She is the most stupid and idiotic person I've met. And I can't believe Savannah likes to work with her. Like how?"

"I see. So you can't stand her?"

"Absolutely not."

"Hm. And, you don't dislike her, do you?"

"Nope. I don't dislike her."

Zac grinned wickedly. "Right."

"What's wrong with you? Why are you smirking like that?"

"'Cause you said you like her."

"The fuck what?"

"You don't dislike her, you said so yourself."

"Yea—wait, what?" It took him a while to understand that Zac had pulled a fast one on him. And. It. Had. Fucking. Worked. "You asshole. You did it purposely, didn't you? You fucker."

"Did what?" Zac asked in faux innocence.

"You fucking twisted that statement."

"I claim of doing no such thing."

"You fuckhead."

Zac burst out again. "Sorry not sorry. You should've looked at your face, man. But admit it. You like her?"