Epilogue

Anything worth having is worth fighting for.

~Susan Elizabeth Philips

***

Savannah chuckled. Oh God, he was persistent. And, over the years she'd realized that the guy who'd told her he didn't suffer crybabies gladly, was himself a groveling crybaby when it came to her. But she loved her whiny man to the end of the world all the same.

"Zac," she laughed, "I am coming back in the evening. It's not even gonna be that long, you know."

"But we both miss you, Reece."

"I know. And I miss you both too, but you have to get used to it, right? You know I'm going to get back to work soon, we spoke about it. The tours won't be as long as they used to be earlier but still, you both need to get used to being without me. Yeah?"

"I was. I was attuned to all your odd scheduling. But then, your two year sabbatical messed everything up. I got to see you round-the-clock every day for the past two years until last weekend, and now you suddenly expect me to adapt to you being away."

"Come on, Zac. It's not like I'm gone for weeks. I landed in New York last morning. And I'll be back by five this evening. That's just ten hours from now."

"Just ten hours! This transition into you suddenly being away from me is proving difficult only for me, looks like."

She laughed again. "You know it's not any easier for me. I miss you a lot too, and you know that. But we have to get back into routine slowly and steadily, don't we?"

"We do. But it's tough, Savannah. My patience is barely hanging by a thread here. I want so badly to have you by my side again."

"Aw, come on, don't make it any more difficult for me than it already is. And, well, I will be back before you know, okay?"

"You promise?"

"I promise. Now tell me where my Pumpkin Pie is."

"Pumpkin Pie is busy dozing off right here beside me. My Cuddle Bunny got up in the middle of the night and refused to fall asleep until I snuggled with her."

"Don't say things like that. It makes me miss you both more than I already am, which is too much anyway."

"That's the goal, isn't it?"

"Oh, shut it, you. Anyway, I gotta go. I have to set things up and check everything at the venue. See you later."

"I am waiting, okay? Hurry back home. The day already seems so much duller without you to wake up to, my Sunshine. You are the light of my day, you know that right?" 

She smiled at him so full of affection and love, his heart swelled with his love for her.

"I love you and I'm still so much in love with you, Reece," he stated.

Those words coming from Zac still made her heart burst out of her chest, even after nine years. "I love you and I'm in love with you too, my Studmuffin. I'll be back soon, I promise. And give Jellybean a kiss from me, all right?"

"Got it, ma'am."

"Bye. See you in a bit."

"Bye."

Zac dropped his phone beside the pillow and rolled out of bed. Once he was cleaned up and fresh, he checked the clock. It was just half past eight. Dammit! Nine and a half more hours to go. How was he even going to survive the whole day? He groaned. Suddenly, a giggle snapped him out of his thoughts.