Chapter 4

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.

~Aristotle

***

"Willy! Wait. Jesus Christ, this bitch is hyperactive. She needs to be tranquilized, I tell you."

"Gerald, leave her be. She's one small bundle of energy," came Clair's voice.

"She has everyone wrapped around her paws. Including me," he added, muttering the last part.

Savannah saw a beautiful Golden Retriever bolt towards the kitchen. She didn't get to so much as adjust her position before the dog came and sniffed at her legs and hands.

"Willy," Zac said, and Willy moved away enough to let Savannah breathe and crouch down.

"Oh my God! Such a pretty thing, aren't you?" Savannah cooed. "What's her name?" she asked.

"It's Willow, Willow Sifton, but she goes by Willy."

"I love your original name, lady, so I'm gonna call you Willow. That works for you?"

Willow lapped at her face as though she really liked Savannah's proposal.

"Okay, okay. I like you too, a lot," she scratched Willow's ears. "Well, since all these people didn't even bother to offer to help, would you help me?"

In response, Willow put both her forelimbs on Savannah's shoulder and licked her cheek.

"I take that as a yes. Thank you, Willow," she said, pressing a kiss on Willow's nose and smiled at a panting Willow who was wagging her tail. She absolutely loved animals, dogs more so.

"You're a natural with dogs, Savannah," Gerald commented.

She had completely forgotten that she had an audience. However, she wasn't embarrassed as usual, instead she was beaming. She would get to be near such a wonderful, pretty dog for the next three months. What else did one need at all?

"I had a black Labrador when I was young. I called him Ratatouille; I was obsessed with making and eating that dish," she chuckled at the memory. Ratatouille had been one hunk of a dog. He'd been wonderful, lovely. "Where was she for all this while?"

"Ah, she was playing with the god next door, Roulette. The owner is a card shark, hence the name. A German Shepherd, extremely handsome. I wonder what a Golden Retriever, German Shepherd crossbreed would look like."

"Dad," Zac and Rhett groaned together.

"What? Don't give that look. You two won't give me grand-babies, at least Willow could."

Savannah coughed out her laugh. This was getting hilarious.

"Uh, well, Siftons, the lunch would be ready in fifteen. Why don't y'all seat yourselves at that luxurious and classic dining table under the grand chandelier? I'll get the food in a bit; by the way, I'm going easy on the courses today—lunch and dinner—and tomorrow's breakfast 'cause y'all are gonna be my experimental subjects once this culinary game starts."

"Ah. That sounds good. I'll be eagerly waiting for your food," Gerald said.

"You'll do fucking amazing, belle," Rhett said, fist-bumping with her.

"Language!" came Clair's warning. This woman had ears sharper than a rabbit's.

"I'm so excited," Stella squealed, clapping her hands.

Zac just smiled. But, Jesus, that smile was more than enough to make her legs turn into jelly while her heart fluttered in her chest.

All the Siftons were sitting at the long, huge table laughing out loudly. She'd learned some about each one of them, Rhett was the candid, unfiltered Sifton, Stella was the happy, chirpy Sifton, Gerald was the pleasant one and Clair was the authoritarian figure. As for Zac, he was just quiet and peaceful... perhaps cocky—though, she hadn't seen much of the cocky Zac yet.