Chapter 22

The shattering of heart when being broken is the loudest quiet ever.

~Carroll Bryant

***

"Del, I'll be back in a while. I just have to get ready. All the best everyone," she wished all the chefs and walked out.

She took the elevator to Abbey's floor, hoping to God her assistant and Rhett weren't still in the same position she'd last seen them. She checked from the corridor first. All clear and PG-13.

Reaching Room 1605, she knocked thrice and asked, "Abs, look, I have to change. I think so much time was more than enough to go about your shenanigans many times, so I'm hoping that Rhett isn't inside." She paused, then murmured, "And if he is, I don't know what I'm gonna do."

The door opened and there stood Abbey, with her hands crossed over her chest, looking as annoyed as she could possibly look, which wasn't that much anyway.

"Oh, hi," Savannah said sheepishly.

"Shut up and come in."

"Rhett not here?"

"Get over him, Boss. He's not here. He also had to get ready for the gala, don't you think?"

Savannah let out a suggestive "hmm..." and nudged Abbey's shoulder. "Getting ready for the gala, or getting ready for you?"

"Shut it!" Abbey whisper-yelled, hiding her face in her hands all the same. She was embarrassed by what happened.

"Oh, Abs, there's no need to be embarrassed. You and Rhett like each other and you had sex with him. It's okay. No, it's amazing actually. God alone knows when was the last time I had sex, it's been so long. I don't get time, you should be happy you do. Physical intimacy is as necessary as emotional, you know. Sex shouldn't be embarrassing, it should be delirious and fun. You get me?"

"Yeah...yeah," Abbey sputtered after a while, bewildered and awed, trying to wrap her head around her Boss being this philosophical. "Holy shit! When did you get so smart, Boss?"

She thought back to the things she'd written in that letter. "Yeah, I'm also wondering the same thing," she muttered under her breath. She entered the bathroom. "You...were...looking at my luggage while in the jacuzzi with him? Not that it's any of my business," she waved it off.

"Oh, I know you better than that. You love poking your nose into my funny business. You are super nosy when it comes to jumping someone, admit it. But to answer your question, no, we didn't have jacuzzi-sex. We only checked the bedsprings."

"I see. Good—great, actually! Well...o-kay. So. I'll get changed."

A while later Savannah came out of the washroom all ready.

"You're killing it, Boss! Planning on doing funny business yourself tonight?"

"Nope. Don't have the time. Planning on looking just good enough to not look out of place at the gala."

"I see. Well, see you downstairs in a while then. You're so gonna knock 'em out today. I'd bang you myself if I were into women."

"Merci mademoiselle."

"Yeah, I know your French is really good. Now get out." Savannah's eyes widened when Abbey shut the door on her face. This was typical of Abbey, being moody and volatile like nobody's business.

"Looks like she forgot who the boss is yet again," Savannah said to herself as she made her way to the elevator.

—x—