In-Between 4

I think all of us create our own miracles.

~Michael Landon

***

Savannah had been distant all day, he could see it, feel it, sense it. But why? What was up with her?

"Baby, talk to me, what's wrong?"

She stopped short. "What? No...nothing's wrong, Zac." She looked away. "What makes you say that?"

"Savannah, you know better than to lie to me. Come on, tell me, what's wrong?"

"I'm just...sick. Yeah, I'm si—" she stopped, covered her mouth, ran to the bathroom and locked the door behind her.

Zac pounded on the door. "Savannah, baby, are you okay? How sick are you? Let me in, please, let me in."

She opened the door, wiping her mouth with a hand towel. "Zac..."

He pulled her into him, and hid his face in her neck. "Is it serious, Savannah? Tell me honestly. How bad is it? Do we need to get it checked?"

"No...no. It's not very, uh, not very serious. But maybe a little bit? I guess."

"Can you please tell me, Reece? Have you seen the doctor? What did they say?"

"Yeah, I went there just the day before."

"What? Why didn't you take me along with you?"

"No, I mean, I just went there to confirm something I'd been suspecting for a while...and..."

"And?"

He watched as she freed herself from his embrace, walked over and situated herself on the bed. Taking a long, deep breath, she started, "Zac, I'm—"

He shut his eyes tight, bracing himself for whatever she was going to confess.

"—I'm pregnant," she almost whispered.

"Wait, what?" He too sat down beside her. "What did you say?"

She closed her eyes and exhaled. "I'm pregnant."

"You're...uh, you're pregnant?"

"Yeah, yeah."

"Oh my God, Reece, you scared me shitless. Jesus! I thought you were seriously ill and maybe I'd lose you again sometime."

"No, I don't think so. You're not losing me."

The room slipped into silence for quite a while. Zac was simply processing the news his wife had just broken to him. She was pregnant. He repeated it like a mantra in his head, he couldn't believe it at all.

He was going to be a dad.

"Zac," Savannah's voice broke through his thoughts, "say something, please. Are you not happy?"

That seemed to bring him back to reality. To his wife who looked very nervous gauging his reaction to the news. He pulled her flush against him and rained her shoulder with kisses over and over. And over again.

"I can't tell you how happy that makes me, Reece. I just can't put it in words! We're gonna be parents, Reece, I can't believe it. Ho—how long have you known this?"

"I...uh, I missed my period last month, when I was in Sacramento. So I took a test, and—and it came out positive. So when I returned back here, first thing, I went to my GYN and got myself tested and as fate would have it, I'm expecting." She shrugged it off, like it was nothing.