Chapter 3

The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance.

~Nathaniel Branden

***

Savannah was arranging the third, and last, layer of lasagna noodles when a spitting image of Clair, Mrs. Sifton, though a wee taller, walked in with a ton load of books in both her hands. Savannah wiped her hands on the towel and walked up to the girl.

"Here. Let me help you," Savannah said, taking half the load. "Jesus!"

"I know. Heavy, very heavy. Thanks, though."

"No problem."

"Who are you, by the way?"

"Hi. Savannah Reece. Nice to meet you. And, you are?" she rattled off.

The girl chuckled. "Stella. Stella Jane. Why are you here?"

"Long story. Can we keep these tomes inside first? You accompany me back into the kitchen, I'll tell you there?"

"Sure. So, you're a cook."

Savannah chuckled, which sounded more like a strangled laugh because of the bulky books she was carrying. "Something like that."

Stella's room wasn't far off, which was a blessing. Savannah winced at the thought itself of carrying those encyclopedias to the second floor had her room been there.

Both the women brushed off their hands. Stella dropped down on the bed while Savannah put her hands on her knees as she caught her breath.

"Why do you have so many books?"

"Because I'm a law student. Too much to read," Stella told her.

"Okay, come on. I have exactly the thing for you."

Stella whined. "Come where?"

"Don't be a baby, come on," she said, before she realized she wasn't speaking to Abbey or Dave. She was speaking to someone she'd met barely moments ago.

"Sorry. That didn't come out right."

"Chillax, Savannah Reece. I don't mind."

"'Kay then. Come."

"You go ahead, be there in a minute."

"Sure."

Savannah walked back to the kitchen, layered her lasagna and put it in the oven. Then, she started working on her signature lemonade.

"Pepper?" Stella asked.

"You're here. Sorry, I didn't notice. Yeah. Try it." She poured some in a glass and handed it to Stella.

Stella sampled it. "Mmm... This is so good. So refreshing."

"Oh, it's just normal lemonade. I just added the pepper so that your senses are awakened. I absolutely love the spiciness of peppercorns and the way it energizes you. And, then there's lemon to refresh—"

"Belle?"

"Beau?"

"What are you doing here?"

"Long story. Come, sit, drink and listen."

"Stel!" Rhett exclaimed, twirling her in his arms. "How are you?"

"Doing good. You?"

"Oh, I met belle now, so I'm the best I ever could've been."

"Belle?"