Chapter 2

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

~George Orwell

***

"Savannah Reece," she extended her hand towards him, praying for dear life that he wouldn't take it. But she knew he would, and he did.

"Zachary Sifton," he introduced and gave her a real smile, unlike hers which was completely white-collar.

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Sifton."

"Likewise, Chef Reece. And, please, call me Zachary, or Zac preferably. Mr. Sifton would be my dad."

Leave my hand already, she thought, hoping he could hear it. And perhaps he could, because he released her hand immediately.

"Noted. Oh, congratulations on the acquisition of the Sifton chain...Zachary."

The name felt foreign on her lips—she hadn't said it since college—and it left a bitter-sweet taste. Bitter was understandable, but sweet? Was it because of that crush which, as per her recent realization, she'd never really gotten over?

Get a hold, Savannah, she scolded herself. Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale.

While Savannah was busy being anxious, he took his time checking her out. She was beautiful, not overtly, more like, naturally. She had black eyes and black hair. Her nose was sharp, and she had thin lips. She was, in no sense, his ideal kind, but looking at her, he felt the need to reconsider his choices.

"Well, Mr. Sifton, now that I'm in, can I have a look at the kitchen?"

Mr. Sifton just shrugged. It took a few moments for the meaning to dawn over her, but eventually it did.

"Oh. Oh. I get it," she chuckled. "Do you mind, Zachary?"

"Of course not. Come, I'll show you there. Dad, I'll see you later."

"Mr. Sifton, thank you," Savannah said as she shook hands with him yet again.

When she turned for the door, she saw Zac already holding it open gesturing to her to lead the way.

Outside she was met with Rhett's face who was leaning against the wall. Waiting, perhaps, for her to come out. Now, she understood why his face seemed familiar. He was Zac's brother, obviously he looked known.

"Rhett."

"You know him?" Zac asked.

You don't say? she thought. "Yeah. We met a while ago."

"Is it? Rhett?" Zac cocked an eyebrow and Rhett just shrugged. "He didn't try stuff on you, did he, Savannah?"

"Well... when you put it that way..." She saw Zac glare at Rhett who was smiling sheepishly. She laughed. "No. No. He didn't try anything. Right, Rhett?"

He shook his head innocently, making her laugh once more. "I knew you were my true friend, Savannah."

"Oh, that I am."

"Where are we going, big brother?"

"Chef Reece wants to see the kitchen space and related areas."

"Oh, yeah, Savannah?" Rhett asked her.

"Mm-hm. Where else will a chef want to be?"

"True that," he nodded, slinging an arm around her shoulders. "Come I'll take you."

"What about him?" she asked of Zachary.

He shook his head vigorously, then dropped his voice just for name sake, because, in any case, Zac could hear everything, like he wanted it to be.