Chapter 18

Life is about perspective and how you look at it. Ultimately, you have to zoom out.

~Whitney Wolfe Herd

***

Yvonne strode into Le Saveurs at quarter past twelve on the dot. The appearance of the restaurant had changed so much since she'd last come here. A year and half ago, probably. Last time she'd met the Siftons wasn't a year and a half ago, she'd come a few times in between for a few days. And usually, Zac and the others didn't let her out of their sights then. A sweep across the restaurant, she saw Savannah checking the buffet spread.

"Savannah!" she called out.

Savannah looked around trying to locate the sound and finally saw Yvonne standing there. She smiled. I'll be there, she mouthed, gesturing with her fingers simultaneously, and waved a hand towards the tables asking her to take a seat.

"Hello, Yvonne," Savannah greeted as she came up to where she was sitting, scrolling through her chats.

"Hi," Yvonne beamed. "Why so formal? Hello, who says that these days?"

"Apparently I do," Savannah countered, smiling. "Well, you're early. And, according to the timings, I can serve you food only at twelve-thirty, ma'am."

Yvonne grinned. "Okay. It doesn't matter. I came to talk to you anyway. Come, sit."

Savannah hesitated for a moment, then sat down. "Well, okay. Talk."

"Yeah. First-off, I'm dying to eat whatever you've made for me. Clair, Rhett, Stella have literally applauded your food ever since they got to know you were making me stuff. And Zac, he practically exalted your food."

"He did?" Savannah asked. No one could miss the sudden surge of hope and excitement that laced her voice. Oh, she was definitely in love.

"Yeah. He was all over your food. So, I'm eagerly waiting," she told her, rubbing her palms together in anticipation.

Savannah checked her clock. Five minutes to twelve-thirty. A few minutes here and there could do, right?

"You know what? I'll go get your stuff. Five minutes wouldn't make much difference."

"Wow, wow, wow. Bring it on."

Savannah chuckled at Yvonne's excitement. "Dairy-, alcohol- and gluten-free food coming right up, ma'am."

"Woohoo!"

Savannah was laughing as she went back into the kitchen. She wasn't usually the judgmental kind, but she'd been wrong about the bombshell that was Yvonne Spencer. She'd put Yvonne into the same box as she put the other stuck-up bitches she met. But slowly and steadily she was learning that Yvonne was nothing, absolutely nothing, like them. She was a candid, free and open woman who didn't give a damn what people thought of her when she did or said things.

She whistled as she entered the kitchen. "Del, where are the things I'd specifically told y'all to keep aside for a special guest?"

"Right where you kept them, Savannah."

"Great. Okay, I'm outside, call me if you need anything."

"Sure thing."

Savannah came out balancing two dishes on one arm and holding one dish in the other. Yvonne quickly opened the Camera app on her phone and started shooting a video.

"Woah!" Yvonne gasped. "How're you doing that?"

Savannah threw her head back and laughed while walking and balancing.