In-Between 3

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.

~J.R.R Tolkein

***

Later that night, as Zac lay beside a sleeping Savannah draped over his chest, tracing random figures on her back, he received a text from Stella.

Kiddo: Hey, big bro. I haven't told mom where you are, or why you are wherever you are. I thought it would make a good surprise if you and Savannah came together and then dropped the bomb of your engagement. She'd love that. So, yes, she is absolutely in the dark about this. AND, Savannah doesn't know that I know, hence she obviously doesn't know that mom also doesn't know. So please, don't go being the smitten fiancé and cave in when she goes all wife over you.

Just as he was about to type out a reply, another text came through.

Kiddo: I know you're awake, and I also know that you've just gotten laid, so shut up and go do the cuddly thing with my future sis-in-law who's most likely fast asleep. Get the hell out of here, NOW! Goodnight. Stel xx

He smiled as he put the phone aside and the other arm around his fiancée too. Being Savannah, she dropped a leg over and across his, right on top of his penis that its positioning somewhat pained, and snuggled closer and closer until her hair was right under his nose, making him want to sneeze. Despite that, he wasn't going to complain. This was exactly where he wanted to be, just like this.

—x—

"Okay, does Clair know?"

"Uh, does mom know about what?"

"Our engagement, Zac."

"Uh, well, um, yes."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Yes, she does."

"I see. Okay, well then," she declared in that voice of hers that meant she knew he was shitting her, and she wasn't liking it one bit, nor was she falling for it.

"No, she doesn't."

"I knew it!"

He held his hands up. "This time it wasn't my idea. It was Kiddo's, I swear!"

"Oh. That's really thoughtful of her. I kinda like it. Imagine your parents' faces when we tell them about this."

His eyes nearly bugged out. She'd liked that idea? Wasn't she on the verge of strangling him when he'd confessed that his parents didn't know about it? What. The. Fuck?

"Weren't you just pissed that they didn't know?"

"Yeah. But that was mainly aimed at you. I'd thought it was you being a lazy ass and forgetting telling them about it. But it wasn't you, and I guess Stel knows what she's doing, so yeah, I like it."

"You—"

She raised an eyebrow. "I what?

"You crazy woman." There he'd said it. He took a step toward her. "You think I'd forget that I came halfway across the globe to propose to you?" Another step. "You think I'd forget about the huge-ass ring I put on your finger." Yet another. "You think I'd forget the best sex I've ever had when the only thing on your body was that goddamn diamond that I got you?" Another. "You really think I'd forget how uncomfortable it was when you quite literally swung your leg on my legs right on top of my penis?" He had the pleasure of seeing her eyes widen. He smiled, taking another step. "You think I'd forget your hair being right under my nose that it made me wanna sneeze so bad the entire night?" Further widening—another step. Once he had her backed up against the wall, he smirked. "Do you really think so?"