A Hard Day's Night

Today was the big day, the game had officially begun. A month ago, I was sitting in med school being taught by doctors. But now? I am the freaking doctor. These several years I spend here are going to change my life, according to Dr. Webber anyway. I walked around the OR with the other interns admiring everything that was surrounding me. Being completely honest, it doesn't look like much competition to me. A tall, skinny blonde girl looks me up and down. That didn't matter to me though, this was finally my time to shine and show off all of my hard work. When she turns away, I roll my eyes at her back. Who does she even think she is?

"Only six women out of twenty," a pretty dirty blonde lady says to me while I put my scrub top on in the locker room.

"Yeah. I hear one of them's a model too. Seriously, like that's going to help with the whole respect thing?" says another really pretty Korean woman with dark hair who took the locker next to mine.

"Well, isn't that just great news. More men who think they can boss us around all the damn time," I scoff.

"You're Rachel Lopez right?" the dirty blonde says while pointing at me.

"Yep," I nod.

"Okay, and you're Cristina Yang I'm guessing right?" she says while staring at the Korean woman.

"Mhm," she mumbles.

"Okay, I'm Meredith Grey, nice to meet you guys," she says while smiling. Grey? As in Ellis Grey? That's highly doubtful, but it's weird she took the time to learn our full names.

I think she's just a little too perky for my personal liking. I don't know who she is, and I frankly don't care to get to know her either. I'm not here for anybody else, I'm here for me. People don't get to the top by having friends. I put my heels on, spray some cheap Bath and Body Works perfume on my wrists, and a little bit of pink lip gloss. I never leave anywhere without those things, especially my heels. As someone who is 5'1 I try to be at least 5'3 in my heels at all times. Even at work.

"Which resident are you guys assigned to? I got Bailey," Cristina asks us.

"Yeah me too," Meredith says.

"Oh, the Nazi I think? Don't worry, I'm pretty sure it's just some stupid nickname to try and intimidate us." I scoff.

"We all have the Nazi?" a male interjects. Not too bad looking, nothing special either. Scruffy brown hair, wide eyes, and kind of dorky. We all just nod at him. "That's good, at least we'll be tortured together right?" he asks. We all just stare at him, we clearly couldn't care less about what he had to say but he just kept talking. "I'm George O'Malley," he looks over towards Meredith, "We met at the mixer, you had a black dress with a slit up the side, strappy sandals..." Meredith and Cristina just glance at each other while I stand there with my arms crossed.

"Great, now you guys think I'm gay," George mumbles.

"Nobody thinks you are gay George, that's your name right? We really just want you to shut up. And by the way," I say walking towards him, "I think I see some drool right there," I whisper in his ear and poke his chin. He wipes his chin with his arm. I giggle and start to walk away.

While I'm walking away he yells at me, "I'm not gay Rachel!"

As soon as I'm about to walk out the door, a short black lady stops me dead in my tracks. She pulls out a piece of paper and reads off names. "Grey, Lopez, O'Malley, Stevens, and Yang."

"That's the Nazi?" Cristina asks.

"No way," I whisper.

"I totally thought the Nazi would be a guy," George admits. Honestly, I can't tell if he's just sexist or stupid. Probably both.