It's the End of the World (pt. 1)

It's a look patients get in their eyes. There is a scent. The smell of death. Some kind of sixth sense. When the great beyond is headed for you, you feel it coming. What's the one thing you've always dreamed of doing before you die? Okay, hello? Clearly not my dream. See? I warned you, not my dream.

My alarm goes off and I groan, per usual. I hate waking up early. I hate mornings in general. But when I wake up I have a pit in my stomach, a really really bad feeling. A feeling like I might even die. Usually I'm right about these kinds of instincts, so I almost didn't even go to work today, but I got myself out of bed and got ready for the day. I was nervous the whole way driving to the hospital. Something bad is going to happen today, I just know it.

I get to the hospital and Meredith tells me that she has the same feeling I have, good to know I'm not the only one here. That leads me to trust my gut even more. I meet Alex, George, Cristina, and Izzie in the pit while we get our yellow gowns on. So is Meredith, she's just standing a few feet behind the group of us.

"I haven't been in the OR in two days. I'm getting OR time," I argue with them. We walk over to the double doors. "We haven't had a decent resident this week."

"Oh the last two weren't that bad," Izzie says.

"Doesn't matter which resident we get. They all suck," Alex says too Izzie. I nod in agreement with him.

"They all sucked terribly," Cristina grumbles.

"Yeah," George agrees. "I miss Dr. Bailey."

We all wait outside, hoping for an ambulance to come in. "So do you want to do charts later?" Alex asks Izzie.

She shakes her head at him. "Never going to happen," she declines.

"What?" Alex asks.

"Alex, I gave you your chance. You had your chance and you slept with someone else," she argues. "I forgave you in the spirit of being a bigger person. Of rising above but these legs are closed to you now. The panties are staying on, for goof. So you and me? Never going to happen again," Izzie tells Alex. George and Cristina roll their eyes at her and I start laughing. I don't think Meredith even noticed what's going on though, she's just as nervous about today as I am.

"So you don't  really want to do charts later?" Alex sarcastically asks her.

"Go stand over there," she says while gesturing for him to walk away from her.

"Can we get back to the point please?" I ask.

"You had a point?" George asks. I glare at him.

"Yeah, which surgeon we're going to have to suck up too today," I say.

"That would be me!" I hear. We all turn around and it's a very, very pregnant Dr. Bailey. She's dressed in her everyday clothing. I've never seen her in anything other than scrubs before.

"Dr. Bailey?" Cristina asks in shock.

"I've been gone 2 whole weeks. 2 weeks! And you ran off 2 residents already! I've got people phoning me at home, screaming, telling me my interns are Rosemary's babies!" she yells. We all look offended by this. I am honestly offended. I'm a good doctor, sorry I don't want stupid people making stupid decisions on patients whose lives are at stake. "Nobody wants you! Any of you! Do you think that I really have time for this right now? I am pregnant! I'm supposed to be on bed rest. I'm supposed to be growing a human being inside of me. I'm supposed to be calm and relaxed! Do I look calm and relaxed to you? Did I raise you fools to be pariahs?"

George just pushes past us and walks up to Dr. Bailey, and then hugs her. She looks angry, but we all know George is her favorite of the interns. "You're back!" he says with a smile on his face.