Yesterday

After careful consideration and many sleepless nights, here's what I have decided. There is no such thing as a grown up. We move on, we move out, we move away from our families and form our own. But the basic insecurities, the basic fears and all those old wounds just grow up with us. And just when we think that life and circumstance have forced us to truly, once and for all become an adult, a parent brings you down. We get bigger, we get taller, we get older. But for the most part, we're still a bunch of kids. Running around the playground desperately trying to fit in.

I decided to temporarily move into Meredith's place after the bomb incident. I've been having terrible nightmares ever since and I can't be alone at night. Plus, I don't plan on staying with her forever.

As for George and I, we never made anything official between the two of us. All we did was kiss and then went back to acting like we were best friends. It's very confusing right now for the both of us. But today is my first day back to work so I'm not worried about any of those things at the moment.

Meredith takes us all to work and we have a patient as soon as we get there, Chuck Eaton. Burke is with us because Bailey is taking care of her baby at home.

"Chuck Eaton. 54. Has stage 3B non small cell lung cancer with possible invasion of the pleura. And a history of COPD. He's had extensive chemo-radiotherapy with minimal regression of the tumor. He's been admitted for radical and block re-section," I report.

"I was a smoker. The oncologist, he explained that I have a 25% chance of surviving the surgery," Chuck tells us.

"Well unfortunately that's about right Sir. If you should elect not to proceed we can make you more comfortable," Burke tells him.

"With all due respect there's no way you can make a man dying a slow death comfortable. I'll roll the dice," Chuck slightly laughs. All of the interns leave the room.

Bailey is standing in the hallway holding her baby when we all run up to her. "Good morning Dr. Bailey. Hi big boy!" Izzie says in a baby voice. Bailey looks annoyed by all of us.

"Are the OR's up and running?" she asks.

"Yeah, fully functional. Except there's some smoke damage to the corridor," Cristina tells her.

"How about you? Are you fully functional?" Bailey asks me.

"I'm fine," I nod. "How's your husband?"

"I take him home tomorrow," Bailey tells us. Her baby makes a cute noise and Bailey talks back to him in a baby voice. "Yes we are. Yeah. Yeah."

"Oh, you're cute. I know you are," Izzie chimes in with her baby voice.

"Okay this is not a tea party. Go work. Save some lives," Bailey says to us in her normal voice. "Now!"

All of the interns go into Jake Burton's room now. He has very bony structures on his face. "Jake Burton. 15. Has advanced craniodiaphyseal disease. Was admitted last night after complaining of headaches," Cristina reports.

"He's not normally a complainer," his mother says.

"He's been having some nausea as well," his father tells us.

"Okay may I?" Derek asks them. We all move to the side so Derek can stand next to the side of Jake's bed. "Jake, can I get you to sit up for me please?" Jake sits up on the bed for him. "Right, okay. I want you to look right here for me," he says while holding up his index finger.

"You know you could pretend I'm a lion if you want. It helps," Jake says. Derek chuckles at this.

I leave the room and go to a computer at a nurses' station to type a document up. "Invasive non-cell. With a history of COPD. That guy's pretty much a goner, huh?" I hear a man ask me while tapping on my shoulder. I look up and it's a really hot, like a ridiculously hot man, who's wearing a leather jacket.