The Heart of the Matter

In life, only one thing is certain... apart from death and taxes... no matter how hard you try, no matter how good your intentions, you are going to make mistakes once in a while. You're going to hurt some people. You're going to get hurt yourself. And if you ever want to recover from the hurt, there's really only one thing you could say. I forgive you.

After coming home from a long day of work, I sit down on the couch while George just stands in the doorway with a guilty look on his face, both of his hands in his pant pockets. "Just tell me," I say, knowing he's hiding something from me.

"I want a divorce," he tells me.

"If this is because of Izzie, George I swear to god..."

"No, no it's not because of Izzie at all. But she was right, we really did rush into this marriage thing. We got married right after my dad passed, I wasn't in the right state of mind at all. And Rachel Janelle Lopez, I really do love you and I want to be with you, but I don't think marriage is in our favor right now," George confesses to me. I gasp in shock, I can't believe what he's saying right now. " Please just say something to me. Please, say anything," he begs.

"It's fine," I say.

"What?"

"I'm not ready to get a divorce George. But we took vows... till death do us part... so, I forgive you." When I tell George this, he just walks out of the hotel room. Once he leaves, I go into our bedroom and cry into his pillow.

I come into work later after Bailey pages me five times to meet her in the x-ray room. Of course when I get there, George and Callie are with her. "You paged me Dr. Bailey? Oh."

"I'm in the clinic. Or I was anyway..." George tells me.

I just nod in silence. "What have you got for me?" I ask Bailey and Callie.

"Ruthie Sales. Says she twisted her ankle falling off the Stairmaster," Bailey reads off of her chart.

"She clearly didn't twist it. She crushed it. We should book an OR for her right away," I tell Bailey.

"Dr. Torres, do you think we should run some quick tests first? Find out why Ruthie's bones are so fragile in the first place?" Bailey asks Callie.

"She's osteoporotic. I see it in older women all the time," she tells Bailey.

"Now you're seeing it in a 28 year old," Bailey says.

"Just call me when you get the test results in please," I say, storming out. I'm not in a mood to argue or look at George's face right now.

Since I've dabbled in ortho with Callie for a little bit, Bailey puts George, herself, and I on the case together. We go into Ruthie's room and her boyfriend is now in there with her. "Your blood tests show low electrolyte levels, low calcium and low vitamin D. Have you been dieting by any chance?" George asks her.

"She just lost 40 pounds recently," her boyfriend, Will, answers for her.

"Will told me if I ever got back down to a size 4, we'd finally be able to move in together," Ruthie says, looking up at Will with hopeful, wide eyes.

"How romantic," Bailey mutters, rolling her eyes at the man.

"We both just needed some motivation. I told him I wouldn't live with a smoker, so he quit smoking for me," Ruthie tells us.

"The problem here is, even if Dr. Torres and Dr. Lopez are able to repair your fracture, it wouldn't do any good unless you're eating more and working out less. Am I right, Dr. Lopez? Dr. Lopez... hey are you alright?" Bailey asks me. I really wish Callie was here right now to answer these questions.