❁Gladiolus - Faithfulness❁

AU: Human AU

TW: Remus making innuendos and such

WC: 971

Date: 5/6/2021

If you had asked Remus when he was younger what he was going to be when he grew up, the last thing he would have said was a paper pusher.

Working in an office had always been a boring concept, wearing a suit and following a regular schedule, gag. The fact that he was indeed working in an office was some kind of error in the multiverse, but at least the boss was hot. Actually, in all honesty, the culture of the job was fun, despite Mr. Croft's intense seriousness. Remus's boss was an interesting character who didn't appreciate being compared to Laura Croft from the video games, even if it was just a comment on how good his ass looked. Yet, he allowed Remus to wear whatever he wanted, sort of. When Remus showed up to a meeting in a period-accurate 17th-century ensemble, hat and all, Mr. Croft didn't even bat an eye.

The job wasn't half bad either. Remus had somehow worked his way up to being a marketing manager. The ad campaigns that he came up with weren't often used exactly how he envisioned them, but his input was always taken into account and it brought him a sense of pride to know that he was being appreciated. He had orchestrated some of the company's most successful campaigns to date. All in all, Remus's life was pretty good.

Lately, though, there had been a bit of a problem. He was getting calls from a rival company. He never answered them. Why would he, he didn't have time for extras. Still, the voicemails they left painted a clear picture, he was being scalped, and not in the fun way. Another company wanted to hire him, and for more money. It would have been flattering if it wasn't so insulting that they thought he could be bought for so little. Remus valued himself and loved who he was as a person. Though it was strange being wanted by others. He had spent years being told to go away because he was too crude; now people actually wanted him for his creativity. He was honestly a bit surprised and was telling his brother just that during their monthly coffee session.

"So, are you going to take the new job?" His twin, Roman, asked, sipping on something that had way too much sugar for Remus' taste.

"Of course not!"

"Why?"

"Well first off, money isn't the only reason to have a certain job, duh! But more importantly, I couldn't do that to the hot Croft."

"So it's because you have a crush on your boss."

"Ew, feelings, no. It's because he is a good guy to work for. Like... do you remember when dad passed away suddenly?"

"Yeah, of course." Roman's voice was somber as he swirled the drink, lost in thought.

"Do you also remember how I was basically able to get the time off immediately?"

"Yeah, but that's kinda normal right?"

Of course, leave it to his theater brother to not understand office culture. "I mean, sort of, but I oversee like four projects at a time and kinda coordinate all of them. It's so freakin chaotic, and I love it, but normally I wouldn't be able to drop all of it. I honestly wasn't planning on joining you for four days, but Mr. Croft heard about our dad and he had my projects reassigned within the hour. He told me not to worry about the projects and to go be with my family. It was weirdly compassionate."

"I'm still hearing that you are loyal cuz you have a crush."

He made a gunt that sounded like 'I don't know'. "All I know is that I will be faithful to this company as long as he continues to take care of his people."

"But that's just one occasion. Don't get me wrong, it's a very convincing occasion, but..."

Remus rolled his eyes. "I could think of a hundred more; the mocktail parties so that people who can't drink can still hang out in that kind of atmosphere; the family-friendly staff events, the adjusted work schedules for those who have kids, or neurodivergencies. I just... he's so fuckin considerate."

"Oh, wow, this isn't a crush is it. You are full-blown in love."

"Maybe, but I don't want to put him in a position to make things awkward... maybe I am in love, I adore making things awkward, but... it's nice just to watch."

Roman sighed, shaking his head. His brother was head over heels and wasn't even going to do anything about it.

Logan Croft was sitting two tables over, his back turned to the two brothers, hiding his blush behind a cup of coffee. He had had an interest in Remus for a while, mostly due to his employee's eccentric behavior. He tried not to have any favorites, but the man who chose to make a plethora of costumes just to get a rise out of people had always drawn Logan's attention. He had been surprised when he recognized the voice during a quick coffee break. How had Remus not recognized him? Maybe it was the less formal clothing, or his unassuming appearance when he wasn't at work. Either way, he couldn't help but be extremely flattered by all of Remus' words. He was one of the hardest working people in Logan's company, and for a brief moment, his mind entertained the idea of having Remus as a husband.

He quickly pushed the thought back as he hid his face once again, a small smile crawling up his lips. It wouldn't be a bad idea to start pursuing a stronger friendship with Remus. If things happened to progress beyond that, well, who was he to say no to a creative and chaotic gremlin of a person?

May Flowers - Sanders Sides FanfictionOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara