❁Poinsettia - Success❁

AU: Pirate AU

CW: None that I know of

WC: 1059

Date: 5/24/2021

The sea was a powerful mistress, but Roman navigated it with the firm experience of those who had spent their lives on her waves. He had been raised on the sea, saved by pirates during a time he couldn't remember. This ship and these blue waves were his home.

But he knew something was missing.

Around his neck was half a medallion, broken in such a clean way that it could not have been an accident. To him, it was proof enough that there was something he was missing, some part of him that wasn't complete. Despite years of searching and questioning, he had never found information regarding the other half. The pirates had never had any answers to give him, but they had given him plenty of suggestions for his quest, ranging from "forget about the past, you have a future" to "Find the compass of the Amois". Roman, ever the dramatic one, had gone with the second option. It was a fabled compass that could lead you to any place in the world. At least, that was the general consensus, but some stories claimed that the compass could lead you to any item as well, as long as you could focus solely on that. Now, as Captain, Roman finally had that opportunity.

After four years of searching, he had found it, hidden away in a sea cave that the winds could not touch. It had been a struggle, and there was no guarantee that he had found the right compass, but no one went through so much trouble to hide something mundane. He stood on at the helm of his ship, holding the compass and his medallion. "I will find you." He whispered as he focused on the other half of his medallion, pouring all his hope into this moment.

The compass needle jumped, and a smile crawled on his face. "Here we go."

It took Roman another month to follow the compass to his destination, almost frustrated when it took him ashore. "Captain, please cease your complaining."

Roman's second in command, Logan, was watching his captain with a weary expression.

"But how can I survive on this dry and desert land?" He asked dramatically, flinging himself towards Logan.

"First off, we are nowhere near a desert." He rolled his eyes, catching Roman, "Still, though I doubt it is possible for a person to die purely because they are in a new terrain, you very well might not survive a desert, but you will survive this."

"You have no sympathy."

"None."

Roman made an offended noise but after getting no reaction from Logan he straightened his shoulders and looked at the compass. "We are close. I can feel it."

"Please mitigate your expectations." Logan hesitated, "I don't want you to get hurt."

"I know, thank you for caring."

There was a mutual understanding between the two of them. Roman had helped rescue Logan from the wreckage of a ship when he was just a teen. He had been tied to a mast and it had been weeks before he started feeling normal again. He had been dehydrated and suffering from sun exposure, but Roman helped nurse him back to health. After that, the two of them had an unshakable bond.

Logan had watched Roman pour his heart into finding this compass; pour his heart into finding his missing half, and he knew how it would destroy Roman if this wasn't what he dreamed. Roman was also aware of this, but he couldn't help but pour his whole heart into everything he did.

They followed the needle, and every time it swerved a bit, Roman lost his breath. Logan was normally right about most things, and he really should have tempered his expectations. He was trying to do that now, trying to remind himself that he could just find the medallion at a flea market. He knew that it was a possibility, but he had hope and no matter what he did, he couldn't quell it.

Trying to spilt his focus between the coin and his thoughts left Roman distracted. He walked directly into someone else, bumping into them and stumbling back.

"Oh, sorry good-"

He was stopped mid-sentence, his neck yanked forward by someone grabbing his medallion.

"You have the other half."

Roman looked at the man in front of him. It was like looking at a strange mirror. Roman didn't know what to say.

"Who are you? Why do you have the other half?"

"I..." Roman gathered himself. He had found the other half. He had successfully completed his quest. Everything he had been hoping for was in front of his feet. There was a small part of him that was scared. Scared that it wasn't true. "My name is Roman and I have had this medallion for as long as I can remember." He snatched it back.

"I'm Remus, and that medallion was passed down to me by my parents... It makes sense."

He began to circle Roman, looking him over.

Logan had his hand on his rapier, ready to fight if needed.

But Remus just launched himself into a hug, "Brother!"

"Wh... what?"

"We are brothers, twins, I mean, you look just like me and you have the medallion."

"I... I have a brother."

"Yeah," Remus smiled, pulling away and Logan relaxed just a bit.

"So, you look like you've taken care of yourself, what do you do?"

Roman looked to Logan and then back to Remus, "Sea trade."

Remus smirked, he knew what that really meant. "Do you spend months at sea? Enjoying the air and freedom?"

"Yes, why?"

"Take me with you?"

"What?"

"Take me with you! I've always wanted to leave port but I've never had the chance. I want to explore the world."

Roman again looked at Logan who shrugged weakly. "It is your call."

"Fine, you may come, but I want to know everything about you."

"Likewise!" He took Roman's hand. "Let's get out of this place, they aren't really friendly to... 'sea traders'."

Roman and Logan's eyes connected again and they had a silent conversation, before agreeing to keep an eye on Remus but to take him along. They quickly made their way back to port.

As they got onto the ship they didn't see the royal advisor frantically running through the streets, looking for Prince Remus.